News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Problem while upgrading to SMF 2.0 RC5

Started by rkumbhar, April 04, 2011, 06:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkumbhar

Hi,
I am using SMF 2.0 RC4 on my forum.
I want to upgrade it to SMF 2.0 RC5.
I downloaded the small update file "smf_2-0-rc5_update" and uploaded it on the server.
When i run upgrade.php on it gives me error as :

"Upgrading from YaBB SE!
The upgrader was unable to find some crucial files.

Please make sure you uploaded all of the files included in the package, including the Themes, Sources, and other directories.

Click here to try again. "

Can anyone tell why this YaBB SE error came from where as I am just upgrading from RC4 to RC5. Also please help as how to solve the issue.

Check the screenshot for more details.

Illori

can you verify manually that all files are in place? it may be possible permissions are incorrect on the files, or ownership is not correct which could make that message show up.

rkumbhar

I uploaded the files twice now ...
still error exists.

can u tell how to check the ownwership of the file.

Illori

sometimes in your ftp client it may show or your hosts file manager, if you are unsure you can always put in a support ticket with your host and ask them to verify your ownership and permissions.

Illori

are you using the small upgrade package or the large upgrade package?

rkumbhar

small..as I am currently using smf rc 4.0

Illori

i would recommend you use the large upgrade package to be sure there will be no conflicts. this will also remove all your mods and give you a clean start.

rkumbhar

@Illori..
I now uploaded large upgrade pack..Still the same issue.. :(

Illori

can you ask your host to check the file permissions and file ownership?

rkumbhar

I dont think that is needed to be done because I am able to set the permission to 777 from FTP to required files and folders.
Last time I was able to convert from SMF RC3 to SMF RC4 using small upgrade pack, but now I am unable to convert from RC4 to RC5

kat

Your host may have upgraded their server, or something.

You can CHMOD your files to whatever you like.

BUT, if you don't have FULL ownership of the files on your site, it won't make any difference.

It ain't gonna cost you anything to check with your host.

So, why not ask them?

At least it'll eliminate that from our list of suspicions.

rkumbhar

rkumbhar

Here is the reply I got.....
---------------------------------------------------
Hello,

There is Linux hosting plan for the domain "kavyakosh.com".

As per your request it is possible to change the permission of the file from CPanel, but it is not possible to change the ownership of the file or folder.

Feel free to contact us in case of any further assistance.

Good day!

Best Regards,
Chhaya

----------------------------------------

So what is the solution now.....

Illori

can you go in your cpanel and see if you can find the option they are talking about to change the permissions? i am not sure at this point without seeing the files what else to suggest.

kat

My initial reaction to "it is not possible to change the ownership of the file or folder" is "Get a decent host".

Let's see how this pans-out, though.

Advertisement: