News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

database code cleaning? upgrade to RC5

Started by Tunz Master, April 04, 2011, 03:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunz Master

Not sure if this is where to ask this, if not please move to right area as I need help.

currently 2RC3, with numerous half uninstalled mods and glitches left after a database crash a while back.  my host [godaddy] pulled the database offline until something or other was fixed as to resources I was over using due to some of these issues.

I am currently doing a complete database backup as I type this, it is well over a Gig+ sql file.

I would like to use this opportunity to remove everything from my backup file.....mod wise leaving nothing but membership info, avatars, all posts, PM's etc......just the important needed info. 

I would then like a fresh install of 2.0RC5 and all our backed up posts & membership info put into it....... I will then start from scratch installing mods that we need that work with RC5 and a new theme.

Is this a monumental task?  I am code stupid, and need help?

Thanks
Dino

redone

Depends how big your forum is, if your forum is that messed up you could copy of backup of your forum and just use the members, messages for a newly installed rc5 board.

I would upgrade it before using the backup copy for your new board. Really depends how big your forum is in terms of how much of a task it is.

~RedOne

Tunz Master

I would have no problems with that what so ever.

I have a complete sql database backup here on my HD, little over a 1G sql file.

what do I need to do?  I know how to set up the sql database with a fresh install of rc5, but how do I get the posts & membership, boards etc from that complete database backup I have?

and thanks for the help

redone

Create your new install, then start by importing your members and messages for a start. Last time I did it I used phpmyadmin.

~Redone

Advertisement: