News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Remove index.php from homepage url ONLY

Started by agent47, April 09, 2011, 04:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent47

According to a my e-marketing pal there are a couple of things that help with SEO. Apparently removing "index.php" from the main page URL, helps too. So as you may have read the thread title, I basically totally want to remove index.php from my site homepage URL. It doesn't matter index.php appears on other urls like post urls but I just want it removed from main page so that my url is http://www.superheroalliance.net

Thanks in advance.

PortaMx is probably the best SMF portal!

CapadY

Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

agent47

That mod basically removes "index.php" from all pages or rather all URLs and that seems to break pages as I have Tiny Portal installed. Since that mod removes index.php from all URLs, this is how addresses look on the browser.
http://www.superheroalliance.net/?action=forum
As you can imagine why that breaks pages.
An alternative is what I need and that's why I strictly stated I want "index.php" removed from ONLY the homepage address.

NanoSector

Quote from: agent47 on April 09, 2011, 05:32:38 AM
That mod basically removes "index.php" from all pages or rather all URLs and that seems to break pages as I have Tiny Portal installed. Since that mod removes index.php from all URLs, this is how addresses look on the browser.
http://www.superheroalliance.net/?action=forum
As you can imagine why that breaks pages.
An alternative is what I need and that's why I strictly stated I want "index.php" removed from ONLY the homepage address.
I don't see how that breaks pages...

/?action=forum is the exact same of /index.php?action=forum.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Illori

it has been reported several times that removing index.php from your url does break some forums.

CapadY

I think this question should be in MOD-request board or in Scripting help board.

Where do you want it to be  moved ?
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Illori

well they are looking for SEO benefits as well, i was thinking of moving it to Building Your Community and other Forum Advice

Arantor

It makes no SEO difference but it breaks the internal handler for rewriting links for sessions which makes it think it needs to put PHPSESSID into every URL, including theme URLs which causes it to break the site horribly for new users, far worse than just having index.php in the URL would look. (Every image and stylesheet would be missing on the first page load)

agent47

Okay since you guys say this doesn't help with SEO, let's forget it then.
I just have one more question though, How does SMF's inbuilt "search engine friendly urls" feature help with SEO ? Just curious to know as SEO is priority number one for me right now?

Arantor

It doesn't. Neither does Pretty URLs. Nor SimpleSEF.

Go to the Chit Chat board, see the topic "Forum SEO is a myth"

Advertisement: