News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF Copyright Footer

Started by my-t3, September 21, 2012, 01:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Quote from: my-t3 on September 26, 2012, 04:09:58 AM
To give a real life example, over the past 6 months I've had 3 well known devs from this community work on a site; to which every single one of them have told me that the footer copyright text can not be changed under any circumstances, otherwise you will not receive support and are in violation of the licence.

As I said earlier, you must first differentiate between SMF 2.0 and previous version. Prior to SMF 2.0 (this includes SMF 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 RC) copyright in footer must be there at all the time, otherwise you are violating the license terms. In SMF 2.0 and above, the license itself permits its removal from footer. The only thing is, you may or may not get support from here. Meaning some members here may help but the team most probably not helping.

Remember this is just feedback and good old discussion on a topic that seems to rear it head a lot. We aren't complaining or throwing rocks at your product.

I think most of us understand that. But keeping that text and link, makes no harm at all. Most forum users also prefer to know what forum software you are using and that copyright text and link help them in doing so.

emanuele

Maybe this is a legacy of version 1.0, I don't really know.
^^ This.

BTW, thank you for raising the issue. :)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Kindred

to be clear....

I seriously doubt that any actual devs on the smf team said that to you. All members of the team know the license terms and would never say that removing or altering the copyright for 2.0 is a violation of the license, although they are completely correct in stating that the smf team will probably not provide support to a site which has removed the copyright...

As for perception...   well, the license for versions prior to 2.0 final IS still enforced, but as for legacy... it's hardly our fault if people install software without actually reading the license (OMG, why would anyone do that?????)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jade Elizabeth

That is true of 1.1 as far as I'm aware, but I think it's changed for 2.0.

And some people personally don't like to give support if they don't feel like you're supporting the project by putting a copyright in.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: