News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Useful Applications

Started by Illori, May 03, 2011, 02:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

As long as it's not Zend Studio.

ArsenArsen

XAMPP and Eclipse PHP IDE is needed!

SoLoGHoST

Just wanna say, if you need a PHP Framework like CakePHP, you are not a good coder in my book.  I don't care what people think, or what recruiters want.  PHP Frameworks are for lazy and/or incompetent coders IMHO.

Just my 2 cents...

Arantor

Interesting, so both me and the XenForo team are lazy and/or incompetent.

Frameworks are there for a specific reason: have well tested, well understood reusable components that mean you can get on with the stuff specific to your application without having to reinvent the wheel again and again and again.

JBlaze

Quote from: ‽ on August 07, 2014, 03:50:00 AM
Frameworks are there for a specific reason: have well tested, well understood reusable components that mean you can get on with the stuff specific to your application without having to reinvent the wheel again and again and again.

QFT

I use Laravel myself, and have tried using others such as CakePHP (meh) and CodeIgniter (ehh). Other frameworks like Symfony and Yii are amazing as well. Frameworks exist so that you can save time and energy by focusing more on actual content and unique code rather than on your base system. It's also been developed and tested by many other developers, which makes it reliable.

Does that make developers who use frameworks lazy? In a way, sure. But why waste time rewriting something that you will use over and over again when you get right to the meat and potatoes of what your project entails?

As for incompetence, well, quite frankly, you're wrong. It takes some time and knowledge to understand how to use a framework to its full potential.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Suki

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on August 07, 2014, 01:15:14 AM
Just wanna say, if you need a PHP Framework like CakePHP, you are not a good coder in my book.  I don't care what people think, or what recruiters want.  PHP Frameworks are for lazy and/or incompetent coders IMHO.

Just my 2 cents...

You do know that SMF itself is a framework right?, granted, in a general aproach.

Sure all frameworks has this side effect of creating a very unique type of coders, those who know how to use that framework but have no idea why it works that way, but guess what, so does SMF :P

For someone who has just beginning to code, using a framework may not be the best way to start/use (yes, this includes SMF too), mostly because you will be quite spoiled by the framework itself and that will prove to be counterproductive at later stages, that is, if you ever decide to keep progressing.

For someone who knows the whats, whys, hows and whens of a framework, it becomes a fantastic tool.

I've been saying this for 3 years now, so glad no one ever reads my blog ::)

Oh! as for been lazy, damn right I'm lazy, I want to be as productive as possible with as less effort as possible...
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kindred

Quote from: Suki on August 08, 2014, 09:28:57 AM
Oh! as for been lazy, damn right I'm lazy, I want to be as productive as possible with as less effort as possible...

Damn right...   Now you're talking my language...
If I wasn't married, I'd have to ask you. ;)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jules20

butchs

Only real men use Notepad.   8)
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

I've used raw Notepad in absence of anything that would make my life easier.

To a point I'd even agree. Those who can legitimately program can do it in Notepad because they're not relying on a smarter tool for their job, they can actually do it themselves. But having a proper dev tool is definitely better than not.

Dragooon

Quote from: Arantor on December 28, 2014, 10:37:31 PM
I've used raw Notepad in absence of anything that would make my life easier.

To a point I'd even agree. Those who can legitimately program can do it in Notepad because they're not relying on a smarter tool for their job, they can actually do it themselves. But having a proper dev tool is definitely better than not.
IMO it's like making a hole yourself using a screwdriver rather than using a drill, using Notepad just makes your life harder. An IDE doesn't automatically code for you, it just helps you code more easily.

Also, my dev tools are phpStorm for IDE, Tower (Mac only) for Git, Textual (Mac only) for IRC, Vagrant for development environments, VMWare for virtual machines and vagrant host. If frameworks are being asked than Yii, Symfony and Laravel are generally what I use.

Arantor

That's my point, though. Someone who does not *need* an IDE as a crutch is a programmer, someone who needs the crutch isn't. A good programmer *could* do without an IDE, they would just be slower and more likely to make mistakes, but they could still do it.

NanoSector

My dev tools: Komodo Edit for IDE, git command line (along with Dolphin the file manager for, well, managing files (it actually has git integration as well)), Hexchat for IRC and a LAMP stack for my localhost.
Amarok/Spotify for keeping me awake and motivated. KDE Connect for pushing stuff to my phone. Dropbox for storing some of my WIP projects.
Guake for my drop-down terminal (hit the ~ key and it pops up, hit again and it's gone. Best invention since soup). Terminal itself is ZSH with Git integration.

All this based on Arch Linux with a KDE desktop. Did I forget anything? :P

Used GNOME 3 in the past but KDE is much more productive.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Dragooon

Quote from: Arantor on December 29, 2014, 06:54:39 AM
That's my point, though. Someone who does not *need* an IDE as a crutch is a programmer, someone who needs the crutch isn't. A good programmer *could* do without an IDE, they would just be slower and more likely to make mistakes, but they could still do it.
TBH if you can't do without an IDE you most likely can't with either.

Antes

I use Notepad++ / Netbeans IDE (Mass Search/Replace only) / Git (GUI/Bash) / SourceTree (which mostly I don't use) / WAMP

Arantor

Quote from: Dragooon on December 29, 2014, 07:37:45 AM
TBH if you can't do without an IDE you most likely can't with either.

That's not been my experience over the years ;)

stmaxx

I Know it an Old thread , But use the RJ TextEd, it's getting much better and regular updates, for HTML and CSS and Hunt and replace PHP, edits.
and it's free!

But to do HTML websites I use CoffeeCup, . it cost, (very resonable) but very reasonable, and you code see at the same time and view in browsers. has site manager or file, so you can edit the Styles and HTML - 5
Stuck with this one for many years! one of first 100 customers and they never let down, on updates!

regards,
maxx

Night09

notepad++ for almost everything I need to do. ;)

Leinnan

I suggest to add Brackets. It's great editor, especially for CSS.

stmaxx

What one uses, depends on What all types of code, you are working with.
That and the fact, that things in all areas of coding are changing at rapid rates, Some tools will save many man hours of checking rechecking, building and re building your work.  Everytime things out there change out we need to adjust!
Tools are great! depending on what your doing and Just as, the late Richard Pryor once said, " And some people just prefer to screw"

Some do, some don't and some you'd rather not know!

regards,
Maxx

Advertisement: