Useful Applications

Started by Illori, May 03, 2011, 02:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

The SMF team has taken the time to put together a partial list of applications that they find useful when troubleshooting issues with smf. We hope that some of the apps listed below are found useful to you. If you wish to add to the list please reply with your suggestions.

Text Editors:

Localhost Webservers:

File Compare Tools:

File Search Tools:

FTP:

SVN:

Screenshot apps:

Browser Addons:

Robert.

SlammedDime

You should change 'SVN' to 'Version Control' and list some other VCS systems, like Git and Mercurial and they're respective plugins.  You should also consider adding some Linux applications, or cross platform applications and some IDE's that support PHP.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Illori

Since right now SMF uses SVN other types of version control systems were not provided by the team. Also no one on the team provided any linux/mac based apps they use. But others are more then welcome to create their own list to add in this thread.

NanoSector

Quote from: SlammedDime on May 12, 2011, 02:06:59 PM
You should change 'SVN' to 'Version Control' and list some other VCS systems, like Git and Mercurial and they're respective plugins.  You should also consider adding some Linux applications, or cross platform applications and some IDE's that support PHP.
AFAIK GNOME includes gedit.

Linux text editors:
- gedit (http://projects.gnome.org/gedit/)
- Bluefish editor (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html)
- Geany (also for Windows)(http://geany.org/)

Windows text editors:
- Programmer's Notepad (http://pnotepad.org/)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Illori

there is also vim, vi, nano, kate and kwrite that can be found on some linux distros

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on May 12, 2011, 02:12:20 PM
there is also vim, vi, nano, kate and kwrite that can be found on some linux distros
soo...why don't you add them? :P
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

flapjack

are you saying that we need a list of all applications in the world? I would leave it with 4-5 most popular

NanoSector

Quote from: flapjack on May 12, 2011, 03:20:42 PM
are you saying that we need a list of all applications in the world? I would leave it with 4-5 most popular
No I'm not but at least give some love to Linux...I'm not using it right now just for fun (**** vista with it's build-in IIS)

flapjack

ah yes, linux with its massive 2% market share and tons of "useful" applications, I forgot about it, sorry

Herman's Mixen

Here a nice PHP Development IDE also may added for the PRO's

ZendStudio - Compatible with Linux, Mac, Windows

Also as a localhost webserver Zend Server Community Edition
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

NanoSector

@flapjack: No, windows with its integrated crap... At least Linux gives you the ability to remove the default browser :P

Just give me Linux, I'm better off with that then Microsoft windows (except when mom blames me that she doesn't know how to use it when I didn't switch our laptop back to windows :P)

MLM

My Themes:

My Mods:

Unsolved Threads:
  • None atm...

flapjack

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 12, 2011, 06:21:43 PM
@flapjack: No, windows with its integrated crap... At least Linux gives you the ability to remove the default browser :P

Just give me Linux, I'm better off with that then Microsoft windows (except when mom blames me that she doesn't know how to use it when I didn't switch our laptop back to windows :P)
don't get me wrong, but if you managed to install linux, you're most likely to find tools you need yourself, as linux users tends to be more pro- like

NanoSector

@flapjack: I know how to control my pc, don't be afraid of that :P

I have seen quite a few programs that I needed to google for, yes (either they were not available for 64-bit which I use or I simply could not find them). but hey, windows is worser with that.

Really, I am finer with Linux then with Windows...

(isn't this getting a bit off-topic?)

Nibogo

XAMPP is great as a localhost webserver, and you'd include alternatives for Mac and Linux. Not everybody use Windows. In my case (Mac) I use SmartSVN for SVN, Coda as my code editor and Filezilla (already listed) as my FTP Client.

Antechinus

Tried XAMPP ages ago. Vertrigo is better IMHO. ;)

Matthew K.

Never heard of Vertrigo.

Antechinus

Antechinus

That's the one catch with Vertrigo: it's Windows-only. However it is stable, has good functionality, and it is a complete no-brainer to set up. Since I have Windows that's good enough for me. :)

We probably should add XAMPP to the list though. Different people have dfferent preferences.

(I used it before I found Vertrigo and it is pretty good)

Advertisement: