SMF 2.0 Update Part Last

Started by [SiNaN], May 05, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharks

I'm just concerned that the drama and difficulties that followed up to the release of 2.0 final will continue to haunt the 1.1.x branch, hence possibly making it harder for the SMF team to provide support for it, but hopefully i'm mistaken. 2.0 being released as NPO means that it's finally open to any other group of coders to take over and customize, so 2.0's future is looking much brighter than 1.1.x to me right now. I know 1.1.x is old, but it still works great on all my forums and thousands of others, so i'm very concerned about 1.1's future, although i fully comprehend that it is entitled to only receive bug fixes and no new features, which is perfectly fine by me.

P.S. LOL i had to submit many times before this post was accepted due to all the excitement with 2.0 final release and hectic replies. Congratulations, SMF team! :D

Burridge

Awesome! Just awesome! I'm very glad it isn't April 1st! :P

becometa

Bloc

Should not this version upgrade RC5?

Quote!!Warning!
This upgrade script is out of date! The current version of SMF is 2.0 RC5 but this upgrade script is for 2.0.

It is recommended that you visit the Simple Machines website to ensure you are upgrading to the latest version.

jackregan

Right...

So, err... how do I actually do a large upgrade then?
Bible Study, Catholic News, Youth Group Stuff (my humble attempt at an SMF site... I'm grateful to the amazing people who have made SMF what it is!!

Illori

that means the dev team is not done with everything that is part of the announcement that 2.0 is finally released and if you want a bit that message will disappear as well as an official announcement be made.

NanoSector

Quote from: colby67 on June 11, 2011, 04:41:53 PM
Should not this version upgrade RC5?

Quote!!Warning!
This upgrade script is out of date! The current version of SMF is 2.0 RC5 but this upgrade script is for 2.0.

It is recommended that you visit the Simple Machines website to ensure you are upgrading to the latest version.
Try opening index.php and change:
$forum_version = 'SMF 2.0 RC5';
To this:
$forum_version = 'SMF 1.9';

Imma cheatah :3
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

sharks

Just to clarify about 1.1.14, only the languages are currently available. The install, upgrade and update packages for 1.1.14 still haven't been released. I am using the drop-down menu on the right of the download page, where it says "Select Version:". BTW, 1.1.13 and 1.1.14 are missing from that list.
I'm not trying to put any unnecessary pressure on the SMF team. It would be futile at this point anyway, as the release process has already begun. I'm just pointing out stuff that might help the team iron out any glitches faster.

Cheers!

jackregan

Ignore my question up the page... I've figured it out :)
Bible Study, Catholic News, Youth Group Stuff (my humble attempt at an SMF site... I'm grateful to the amazing people who have made SMF what it is!!

[SiNaN]

There are plenty of manual changes necessary to complete the release process. I would suggest waiting until the announcement is made. Otherwise the packages might bite you! :P
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Burridge

I decided to wait after I downloaded the large update package, and it went corrupt on me xD

jackregan

I've done the large upgrade and as promised all of the data in my packages reappeared after I reinstalled them.

In short, I am well happy!

The upgrade.php process stuck during step 4 - changing database tables - but once I started it again it picked up at the same stage and finished just fine.

So, all is good :)

A huge, massive thank you to the brilliant SMF team!

sharks

Quote from: [SiNaN] on June 11, 2011, 04:59:49 PM
There are plenty of manual changes necessary to complete the release process. I would suggest waiting until the announcement is made. Otherwise the packages might bite you! :P
Thanks for letting us know! I got bitten a few times already. I managed to find the upgrade package for 1.1.14 but its change log won't download. BTW, why isn't the 1.1.14 release found on the download page?

[SiNaN]

I could download the changelog for 1.1.14 version just fine.

1.1.14 is no longer listed on the main download page because 2.0 is now the stable version. You can find versions older than 2.0 in Archived Releases page, including 1.1.14.

Burridge

QuoteSMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines

That looks much tidier. Also looks slightly more appealing (to me at least).

sharks

Quote from: [SiNaN] on June 11, 2011, 05:24:47 PM
I could download the changelog for 1.1.14 version just fine.

1.1.14 is no longer listed on the main download page because 2.0 is now the stable version. You can find versions older than 2.0 in Archived Releases page, including 1.1.14.
It's working now. :)
BTW, special thanks to you, [SiNaN]. I also use SimplePortal on all my forums, quite intensively. I hope a new SP is planned soon for 2.0 final?

Also, now that SMF 2.0 Gold is out, i must ask you... why isn't One Piece in your Anime List? :D Seriously, it's the best anime in the world.

Thanks again!

[SiNaN]

Quote from: sharks on June 11, 2011, 05:32:37 PM
BTW, special thanks to you, [SiNaN]. I also use SimplePortal on all my forums, quite intensively. I hope a new SP is planned soon for 2.0 final?

There will probably be a quick bug fix release and the long awaited 2.4 release soon after.

Quote from: sharks on June 11, 2011, 05:32:37 PM
Also, now that SMF 2.0 Gold is out, i must ask you... why isn't One Piece in your Anime List? :D Seriously, it's the best anime in the world.

I tend to leave the best part of my meal to the end. That's the same with One Piece. Though I doubt Clannad series would give "the best" spot in my list.

Road Rash Jr.

mysteries abound after install of large upgrade
QuoteVersion Information:
                     Forum version:                     SMF 2.0 RC5
                     Current SMF version:                     SMF 2.0 RC5
and
QuotePowered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Burridge

RR: I think they haven't fixed the problems with the packages on the download page yet. I think they're finalizing everything. I downloaded the full install (.zip as the other two were corrupt for me) and installed on my localhost install to keep it up to date so I can test things.

sharks

Quote from: [SiNaN] on June 11, 2011, 05:38:00 PM
I tend to leave the best part of my meal to the end. That's the same with One Piece. Though I doubt Clannad series would give "the best" spot in my list.
I'm going to watch Clannad next. The ratings are through the roof. From the cover, i always thought it was just a Loli or Ecchi. The description indicates otherwise. But i doubt it will be better than One Piece, which just aired episode 501 last Sunday! :D I'm also up-to-date with its manga and there are at least 500 more episodes coming. It's a one hell of a ride!

Advertisement: