News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Location of files / folders

Started by HunterP, May 07, 2011, 08:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HunterP

Hi there,

Currently, my forum resides in a folder 'forum' which requires 'forum' to be a part of the URL :

http://www.hulpverleningsforum.nl/forum/index.php

Now I'd like to take this one level down, resulting in :

http://www.hulpverleningsforum.nl/index.php

First, do I really need to move all files (and folders) or can I just move the index.html, SSI etc?

Second, is this a correct redirect?

Redirect /forum2/ http://www.hulpverleningsforum.nl/forum/

CapadY

Yoy'll have to move all files and after that you'll have to run repair_settings.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

HunterP

Quote from: CapadY on May 07, 2011, 12:38:36 PM
Yoy'll have to move all files and after that you'll have to run repair_settings.

Was afraid of that. I'll ask my host to help me, that'll be much quicker than downloading and uploading again :)

CapadY

You shouldn't have to up- and download.
Via operator panel of your host it should be possible to move them.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

HunterP

Quote from: CapadY on May 07, 2011, 05:11:59 PM
You shouldn't have to up- and download.
Via operator panel of your host it should be possible to move them.

If you say so, but I don't know how :)

My host is very helpfull, so I'll first wait for their reply.

HunterP

Ok, managed to do it myself. Total Commander doesn't let me copy/move on the server, just downloaded FileZilla and that one does.
One problem, after moving all files and folders and running repair_settings, the layout got messed up. I'm not really sure as I didn't want to keep the forum 'down' for too long, but I guess the CSS wasn't loaded. Damn I had to make a screenshot, but the menu appeared like :

* Home
* Help

etc..

Any ideas?

HunterP

Ok, this is weird. I've copied everything back and suddenly everyone (exept me) was back to the default theme, where the "core theme" used to be the default for everyone...

Illori

if you ran repair_settings.php it resets everyone to the default theme. you would need to go in your admin panel and reset the paths for the other themes then set it back as default.

HunterP

Quote from: Illori on May 08, 2011, 06:44:03 AM
if you ran repair_settings.php it resets everyone to the default theme. you would need to go in your admin panel and reset the paths for the other themes then set it back as default.

Ok, so when I move everything, run repair_settings to fix the paths, I also need to fix the theme paths in the admin panel?
If so, why doesn't (or can't) repair_settings do this also?

Illori

repair_settings.php does not know what other themes you have installed so it can not fix them. you can fix them in admin -> themes and layout -> theme settings and click on the attempt to reset all themes button on the bottom of the page.

HunterP

Quote from: Illori on May 08, 2011, 08:27:03 AM
repair_settings.php does not know what other themes you have installed so it can not fix them. you can fix them in admin -> themes and layout -> theme settings and click on the attempt to reset all themes button on the bottom of the page.

Ok, will give it another try later today.

HunterP

Another (lazy) question...

When I move my files, I need to fix all paths. Meaning that I have to click them all. Why doesn't have repair_settings a "fix all" feature?

Also, why can't repair_settings fix all paths to themes? Why can't "attempt to reset all themes" be included in repair_settings?

Not meaning to be lazy or whatsoever, but this might prevent the same issue to be experienced :)

Illori

the way repair settings is used, some people only need to change some parts and fixing everything could cause some parts to break so easier to let the user decide that the path really does need to be changed.

repair settings does not have a feature right now to determine how many themes you have, what their paths are and attempt to reset them, since the admin panel can do this I think that is ok.

Advertisement: