News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Bouncy Board Bug on All SMF Sites?

Started by Pegasys, May 08, 2011, 03:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasys

I recently noticed that one of my SMF sites was doing something I had never noticed before. When I changed pages, or simply reload the same page, if briefly extends out to the right about 20-50 pixels... as if some element within the page was suddenly enlarged beyond its container. Its not part of the page... its the whole website.

It happens very quickly on most reloads. One of those "don't blink or you'll miss it" kind of things.

It drove me nuts trying to figure out what was causing it. So I checked another of my sites that has been running for years. And it does the same thing!! I use PortaMX portal on both sites, so I suspected that it must be a PortaMX issue. I went to their official site... and it does it there also.  I checked a few other PortaMX sites... same thing. They all do it.

But just to be sure, I checked various non-PortaMX sites... 1.x & 2.x versions. They all do it. Finally, I came here to the official site and yes... it does it to.

Give it a try... both here and on your own sites.  Just keep hitting the Home or Community button every few seconds... or just change pages. Do you see how the right side of the page jumps briefly to the right then comes back to normal?  Or am I just going crazy?

And if I'm not crazy... can anyone figure out what is causing this and , more importantly, how to fix it?

* Checked in Chrome, FF & IE 8. Does it in all 3.

* I don't think its theme related because I have seen it on many different themes... including the default Curve.

EDIT:  Just triple checked and the effect happens less frequently in Firefox. But even here, switching around from Download to Customize to Support, you can see it.

flapjack

it looks more like portamx problem, not smf
have you tried other portals?

Pegasys

Quote from: flapjack on May 08, 2011, 04:54:55 PM
it looks more like portamx problem, not smf
have you tried other portals?

Its not the portal. It does the same thing here on the official site. As best as I can tell from checking about 20 random SMF sites, both v1.x and v2.x... with portals and without... with default Curve theme and custom themes... they all do it.

Also checked one with a Joomla front end. That one did not do it on its home page (Joomla)... but did do it as soon as you entered the forums.

This is not a problem that only I am experiencing. As best as I can tell, all SMF sites do it to some degree. Possibly, with a theme that has large side margins and plenty of white space, it may not be as noticeable.

And I don't think its necessarily a big issue as I suspect its been going on for years and nobody ever noticed it. But now that I know its doing it, it's driving me nuts. I'll try to grab some screen shots if I can hit the screen capture key fast enough.

* It has the appearance/behavior of an over-sized container loading in before its smaller parent container.... which briefly, as the page is loading... can be seen. Overall, it gives the forum a "bouncy look"... especially at times when the page is slower to redraw /reload.

Pegasys

Its the friggin' vertical scroll bar !!   ::)   [head smack]

I noticed it as I was trying to get screen shots of the differences. The pic where the site was expanded briefly had no scroll bar where the pic of the normal page did have one.

When the page is reloading, the scroll bar disappears briefly... which makes the page/screen slightly wider. The containers of the website then expand to fill the page... but are forced back as soon as the scroll bar appears. 

Advertisement: