Category descriptions

Started by CraftyLion, May 10, 2011, 10:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraftyLion

I've noticed that vBulletin allows categories to have description yet SMF doesn't. Perhaps this could be considered?

Norv

I don't know. Is it needed? Mainly, categories are just the simple, top level way to ... categorize. :) A description for each category would take space, and the question is, would have really useful information - when under it there are descriptions for the included boards anyway?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

CraftyLion

I find that descriptions for categories helps. There are certain categories which would need more specific information shown than the general board rules/guidelines. An example of this would be like a debating category.

mashby

Could you writeup or link to an example of one?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

CraftyLion

Writer's Beat.com on vbulletin uses category descriptions - mainly the "Writer Here" category. 

Antechinus

Hmm. Wouldn't be into it myself (I hate cluttered interfaces) but I suppose some people would be. To my mind though, this is what board descriptions are for. I mean you don't post in a category. You post in a board, and they have descriptions anyway. My 2c.

Really I would prefer to see this one as a mod (perhaps official) rather than as a default feature. There doesn't seem to have been any demand for it before so I'm not sure it's best as a default feature.

IchBin™

I don't ever recall anyone asking for such a feature here. Although I certainly could have missed it, it obviously hasn't come up that much. Definitely mod worthy though! Shouldn't be too hard to get someone to put a little mod together for this.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

CraftyLion

I did find a thread that was written in 2004 but nothing any more recently. Hence, my request.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=17119.0

Matthew K.

Would be a pretty easy mod to write up, although I agree with Antechinus on this, not something I would like.

Advertisement: