News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Problem choosing Database Type!

Started by blessid, June 01, 2011, 12:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blessid

Environment:

Gentoo 10.1 64bit linux
PHP 5.3.6
PostgreSQL 9.0.3
SMF 2.0 RC5

Everything goes smoothly until it needs to connect to the db.
In the install.php script i get to Step 3: Database Settings

It asks for:
Server name
Username
Password
Database name
Table prefix

There is no way to set Database Type: PostgreSQL
(Docs say there should be a dropdown here..?)

If i enter the info and click next i get:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
(Of course, because I'm not using MySQL)..

I tried to edit Settings.php and change $db_type = 'postgresql'; but it automatically changes back to 'mysql' if i run the install.php script again.

Only info i can find says it should be an obvious dropdown, and editing the settings doesn't do anything.  Is PostgreSQL really supported?

-blessid

SlammedDime

I believe SMF only supports PostgreSQL version 8.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

blessid

I will be happy to downgrade and report my findings, but this recommendation does not address my issue of being unable to choose a Database Type...

blessid

The downgrade did not, in fact, change my condition of not being able to select PostgreSQL.  For this project i have gone with another forum software, but SMF works well with MySQL and i will continue to enjoy running my other SMF implementations

Thanks for the help regardless

~

Oldiesmann

Do you have PHP configured with PostgreSQL support? SMF determines whether or not PostgreSQL support is available based on whether or not the pg_connect function exists (and also the PostgreSQL version, but that shouldn't be an issue).

Any version of PostgreSQL 8 or 9 should work fine with SMF.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

yha

I'm having the same issue. PHP *is* configured with PostgreSQL support, but step 2 of the installer doesn't show me an option to choose my DB type at all. If I enter my PostgreSQL database information (username, password, etc), SMF gives me a "Critical Error" with "No such file or directory". I've tried this with both PG 8.x and 9.x. No go.

Arantor

How do you know it 'is' configured? Does the pg_connect command exist? Considering there are multiple ways it might be configured...

Oldiesmann

If SMF isn't giving you an option to choose PostgreSQL, then that likely means the actual (native) PostgreSQL extension is not installed/configured. Remember - SMF will not work with PDO.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: