Started by SMF Customization Team, June 03, 2011, 10:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMF Customization Team

Link to Mod

SMF Comprehensive Help

Author: SMF Customization Team

Link To Mod | Mod Discussion | Other SMF Customization Team Mods

Summary:
This package replaces the Help page in SMF 2.0 with the pre-RC5 comprehensive help pages.

Compatibility:
Compatible with SMF 2.0

Installation Information:
The Package Manager should work in most cases, if you have problems installing please use the discussion thread as well as Manual Installation of Mods

Change Log:
Version 1.0 - May 19, 2011
- Initial release

Aportadordelmix

Muchas gracias por el mod!

_sj

This mod is very useful. Thank you.
I found a small problem in ExtendedHelp.template.php.
Some links are broken and '<span class="centertext">' should be '<div class="centertext">'.
Attached a patch for these.

Additionally, $txt['manual_entry_modify_profile_desc'] is duplicated both in ExtendedHelp.php and ExtendedManual.english.php.

Sources/ExtendedHelp.php:135

'description' => $txt['manual_entry_modify_profile_desc'],

shoud be

'description' => $txt['manual_entry_profile_actions_desc'],

Themes/default/languages/ExtendedManual.english.php:60

$txt
['manual_entry_modify_profile_desc'] = 'This section provides information about certain actions that can be performed on accounts.';

shoud be

$txt
['manual_entry_profile_actions_desc'] = 'This section provides information about certain actions that can be performed on accounts.';

Eleglin

Useful mod.
Buf, why is there only english in the package ?
There were many translation for the help page of SMF 2.0 RC4, and previous one.
It would be useful to include all of these on the package. :-)
No support by PM or Mail.

Lum-chan

A Dutch translation would be more than welcome (any translation would be too for others). Any change on other languges than English in the future?

This version is easier to use than the stock version in SMF 2.0

[edit]
I'm working on a Dutch translation, might take a while as my translation-skills suck  ;)
[/edit]

Lum-chan

agridoc

This mod is a welcomed go back move to the online basic help system of SMF until 2.0 RC4.

There are ready translations in older language packs. Unfortunately 2.0 RC4 language packs adopted the new SMF Wiki help a little before RC5 release so, unless someone has an older 2.0 RC4 language pack, 2.0 RC3 language packs must be used, they are the most recent available.

Take Manual.[language].php from translation pack, rename it to ExtendedManual.[language].php and upload it to /Themes/default/languages.

"Extended Help" mod is not a exactly a mod, neither a new fearure, it's a restoration of an existing feature that was stripped a little before 2.0 RC5 release. An overenthusiastic but wrong move as I see it.

I believe that SMF should go back to this system, this is basic user help and should be available in SMF installation. Read this and related messages before.

Quote from: agridoc on July 29, 2011, 05:07:41 PM
Quote from: Gary on July 29, 2011, 04:28:09 PMThere's a mod that'll revert the help backwards to RC4's local method somewhere on the mod site.

Thank you Gary, it's Extended Help mod by SMF Customization Team , that makes it an "official" mod. That also means that quite a few find the old way better.

So, bringing back Manual.[language].php and basic user help in SMF files and adding a link like "SMF Wiki extended help" is the best way. "Extended" goes for Wiki, as this will be the full documentation when finished.

For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

IchBin™

Mod page has been updated with packages. There is now a separate utf8 language package. Package now include all the previous help files from other languages.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

capeinfo

I hope I'll get an answer to this very old thread! 

I'm trying to edit the content in the extended manual - to remove registration and login info.  (I'm using jFusion and Joomla! for registration and login.)  I can see some changes when I edit ExtendedManual.english_british-utf8.php, but some parts I edited out still appear.

What other files should I be editing?

IchBin™

The only files you need to edit are the files in the mod package. If you are not getting the desired results you need to be specific about what you are seeing and what you'd like to see. "Some parts" does not give us any clues as to what you are talking about.

capeinfo

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I have tried to remove the Registering section>
-    When and How to Register
-    The Registration Screen
-    Activating A New Account
-    Logging In and Out
-    Password Reminders

I have deleted it from ExtendedManual.english_british-utf8.php which is the file being used, because other changes made there do show.  But I'm still getting the whole Registering section and its content.

IchBin™

What version of SMF are you using? I haven't looked at the code for this mod for quite some time so I'm not 100% sure at the moment, but if I remember correctly you can just comment out the sections you don't want to show in the Source file. The tabs I think are created from an array in the Sources/ExtendedHelp.php file or something like that. You should be able to just remove that array for the register section.

capeinfo

Sources/ExtendedHelp.php sorted it out... thank you very much!

sonio

The best mod!!! Very important for me! Thanks!

Advertisement: