1.0.5 Problem - Some characters replaced with ? in posts

Started by Spitfire, July 28, 2005, 12:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitfire

I recently upgraded my forum to 1.0.5 and have been having some weird issues ever since.  The worst one is that in some, but not all, posts, the forum replaces characters with question marks (?).  Most commonly, it replaces ' or " but also replaces spaces and other characters sometimes.  As I said, it doesn't do this in all posts, but there doesn't seem to be any real pattern to it.

My current theme files are based on a 1.0RC1 theme that has been heavily modified.  I am wondering if this may be part of the problem, and if re-creating my custom theme based on a 1.0.5 theme would help the problem.  Otherwise, is there some other error that could be causing this?  Any advice on how to fix this rather annoying glitch would be highly appreciated.
[nofollow]

[Unknown]

Can you post a link?

Are you using UTF-8, instead of ISO-8859-1?  Were you once using UTF-8?

-[Unknown]

Spitfire

Yeah, I just checked in phpMyAdmin and apparently I am using UTF-8 for the database.  However, I don't see ISO-8859-1 as an option in the character sets and collations pulldown.  How do I change it?

Also, my theme is based on the YaBB SE Classic theme rather than the default SMF theme if that makes any difference.
[nofollow]

[Unknown]

Spitfire

Ahh OK.  I am looking at the database in phpMyAdmin, and the collation for every table in there is set to "latin1_swedish_ci."  This seems odd to me... do I need to change this?
[nofollow]

[Unknown]

You might try changing it to UTF-8 and see if it fixes this.  That said, it might also make things worse - so be prepared to undo it.

-[Unknown]

Bichon

I am using English (en-ISO-8859-1) and i get extra characters being added to some messages, only some not all.

Welcome!   :smile icon here:  Nice of you to join us!

I just found this site a couple of months ago, and it gives me my Bichon Fix (well..... this site and my 2 1/2 year old, Max   ).

Take your time  ,  look around  , ask for  when you need it, and meet new friends   (not EVERYONE here is "crazy"   )

Advertisement: