News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

RTL (important) enhancement

Started by Dan_y2k, June 13, 2011, 06:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_y2k

One thing, that can really improve RTL support of SMF, will be doing this: I'll take the code "margin-right", just for example.

Instead of coding "margin-right: 7px;", this will be better:

', $context['right_to_left'] ? 'margin-left:' : 'margin-right:',' 7px;

If it'll be applied to all the similar codes:
align="right"
padding-right:
float: right;
etc...

I have no doubt that this will greatly increase RTL compatibility in SMF.

I've been adjusting themes, skins and designs alot lately, and I think I could really help the SMF Team to create a perfect RTL compatibilty. Just contact me, and I'll be glad to assist. :)

Thanks. :)
Regards,
Dan_y2k.

Antechinus

You can do the same thing with rtl.css. There's no need to use php for it.

Dan_y2k

I've upgraded SMF 1 to SMF 2, with my Hebrew translation, and I've noticed that not everything in the themes in CSS.

Some text in SMF Curve is not aligned properly.
The installer and the upgrader are not RTL compatible.

This is what I saw from first look.
Regards,
Dan_y2k.

Antechinus

Ah. Yes the install and upgrade scripts run their own css, which hasn't been sorted for RTL yet. We should sort that at some point.

ETA: tracked it for 2.1.

Dan_y2k

Curve also has some small RTL glitches. Like I said, I'll be glad to help.

Also, this is a very important issue with RTL and mods: Let's say, when I want to install a mod, it seeks this code:
<p align="left">This is some text.</p>

It won't be able to be installed on my theme (lets take Curve as an example), because @ in RTL Curve, the code will be:
<p align="right">This is some text.</p>

It'll probably won't work without me editing the mod file directly, searching for "left" and changing it to "right".
Thus, it'll be harder for me to install mods, especially big ones.

Think about it. ;)
Regards,
Dan_y2k.

Antechinus

Ah. But we wont have code like that, because these days you don't use the align thingy. It's all nasty and medieval and deprecated n stuff. These days we are good little muchkins and use CSS classes instead, and of course these can be dealt with differently in rtl.css.

Anyway sure, if you know of any rtl glitches then feel free to report them with specifics.

Illori

ziycon

RTL issues for install and upgrade pages moved to github.
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/1203

Issues relating to RTL for Curve aren't relative any more with new theme for 2.1 unless RTL issues will be looked at in a patch for 2.x?

Arantor

Yeah, we're not going to be figuring out anything for 2.0 because in most cases a patch is a waste of time.

And because we just moved 2.1 to a HTML5 doctype, align and friends need to be removed anyway, and there is a push to move stuff wherever possible to the CSS files rather than inline styles.

I'm actually going to mark the rest of this as solved because it's part of an ongoing issue that we're looking at and will be solved once that is complete.

Advertisement: