News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Limit Posts

Started by jereece, July 29, 2005, 01:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jereece

Is there a mod that would limit the number of posts a registered user can make or maybe the length of time a registered user can make posts.  For example, lets say I only want to allow registered user to make one post or maybe restrict him to post only for the next 7 days.  Is there a mod that would do this?

Thanks,
Jim

[Unknown]

I'm afraid there currently is not, but for the second option (7 days after registering) it wouldn't be very hard at all.

Would you like me to move this to Mod Requests?

-[Unknown]

Ivan Minic

Both features would be nice to have, if not that detailed, maybe at least some mod that would make users read and understand the forum rules, for example redirect to rules right after registration and asking them to pass a simple test after reading them to see if they actually did anything.. maybe a bit hard to integrate, but a rather nice feature

jereece

"Would you like me to move this to Mod Requests?"

That would be nice.  Thank  you.

Jim

jitspoe

Has anything like this been implemented?  I'd also be very interested in a mod / built in feature that limits the number of posts a user can make in a day.  It would also be nice to be able to apply it to guest accounts, so you could keep guest accounts enabled, but limit them to like 2 posts a day, preventing massive spam attacks.

Another way to approach it might be to limit the post rate, ie: user X can only post once every 2 hours.

Col

I have asked for a mod that will allow some kind of auto-moderation, but with a whitelist too. At the same time I guess you'd need a list for certain members where you'd want to review all their posts first. I guess this would go some way to what you are asking for, unless you need it to apply to all members. If ever someone develops some kind of "approval" mod, this will do that same as I've outlined above.

Yes, I can see that for some forums (maybe mine too, from time to time), this would be a very useful alternative to having to ban someone.

<edit>Can't hurt to give the link to the mod I asked for: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=58223.0  ;) </edit>

snork13

limit the amount of post per day would be a great feature :)

..anyone wish to point me in the right direction to make this mod happen, i willing to try and make it :D
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

bryan_49ers

I would be interested in this mod, particulary if you could set different limits for different member groups. 

Alternatively a different amount of time between posts per different member group would be helpful

bryan_49ers

mforum

I am very interested in this mod.
To limit posts per day for certain member groups to certain boards, thats all i ask of it  :)

DrDom

hi,
I think having the ability to limit posts and personal messages is a great idea, at least for a probationary period,
that would let you see what a new user is like, especially following the recent spam attacks many boards have had.

Regards

Kakao

If the purpose of the limits is to prevent spam then I have built a mod that don't let a user post a known spam adress:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=109614.0

It is installed in two forums and is working great.

Col

Some support forums have members who are, well, a bit flaky. Since the flakiness is connected with the problem that forum is their to support, it would be inappropriate to ban them unless it is totally unavoidable. What would be better is if you could restrict them to a maximum number of posts in a given period of time. Sometimes support vampires can't help themselves. Other forum softwares provide this feature!

Harzem

I've asked about this mod before, and I'm considering to make it. But I have quite a few tasks before it, so don't expect a release soon by me. If any other volunteer codes this, that would be a faster release than mine.

Advertisement: