News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

phpbb 2.0.17 to SMF 1.0.5 - Ranks did not convert

Started by Celtland, July 30, 2005, 09:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celtland

I am testing the converter for our forums once again.  It seems all of the member groups from phpbb make it over mostly intact (some members get excluded, but that can be fixed easily).  However, the ranks assigned to each member (not post-count based, but rather by experience) did not get converted (none appear in Edit Membergroups).  Membergroups and ranks are separate on our forums... where membergroups hold all of the permissions... and ranks are based on which "direction" you want to take on our gaming/modding website - music, modding, track creations, etc.

There were no error messages during the conversion.  The "old" boards are phpbb 2.0.17 with the following mods added:

Attachment Mod
Quick Reply with Quote Mod
FAQ Edit Mod
Lop IP on Registering Mod
View IP on Thread Mod
Advanced Version Check Mod
Post Image Max Size Mod
Smartor's Chatbox Mod

You can see why I've been pushing our members, moderators, and admins to switch to SMF for many months now.  Almost all of this comes standard in SMF - not to mention LOTS of other features.  Also, the support here is indescribably better than at phpBB.  :D

No mods have been added to the SMF 1.0.5 installation.  Thanks for any and all help.
Is maith an scáthán súil carad.

A friends eye is a good mirror.

Celtland

I think I may have found my own answer, but will have to disable our phpBB boards to test it out.  I mis-wrote above - one rank did make it over - and that rank was set under phpBB as a normal rank with 0 posts needed to join (the default for new members).  All of the other ranks are set as "special ranks" meaning they're not post-count based.  I think if I change them as non-special and set minimum posts to 0 for all of them that they will transfer.  I just hope it won't make problems for our boards at present.  Does this sound right as to how the converter is set up?

Celtland

Test is completed.  All of the ranks themselves converted without a problem.  However, every member was assigned to the same rank - not where they were supposed to go.  Any suggestions on how to remedy this are greatly appreciated.  :)

Celtland

Back to square one.  When changing the ranks in the phpBB admin panel - phpBB took the liberty of assigning everyone to the same rank as I changed them.  So it wasn't the convertor at all.

Celtland

Would it be difficult to modify the phpbb2 to SMF converter to have it recognize special groups in phpbb (non postcounted) and assign them to regular groups in SMF?  I have very little php knowledge, but would not be adverse to tackling this if most of what's needed can be taken from context within the converter.  Thanks again for any help or suggestions.

[Unknown]

I see there was a separate post about this issue.  Sorry for not responding to it earlier - I'm afraid that I missed it, and most of the members of the support team really don't consider themselves expert enough with the converters to offer advice.

-[Unknown]

Celtland

Quite alright!  Your help in the converter thread was outstanding.  And we are now fully converted to SMF - and plan to stay that way.  :)

Advertisement: