News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

should I upgrade phpbb to 2.0.17 before converting?

Started by discojo, July 31, 2005, 03:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

discojo

Right now I am running 2.0.16 - rather than upgrade, I knew there had to be a better board so I found this one  :D

Should I upgrade my phpbb before using the converter?

Also, sorry if this is the stupidest question ever, but....when I run the converter script, it won't do anything to my phppbb other than simply copy the database and convert that info, right? I know very little php and mysql so I'm not sure how this works...it just worries me because my phpbb is a live board  ;D

Thanks!

ETA: I thought I'd mention, my current board has no modifications - I happened to download it and get it running the same night the next version was released  ::)

dtm.exe

It wouldn't be a bad idea; although I'm not sure that it's necessary before you upgrade.

-Dan The Man

[Unknown]

Quote from: discojo on July 31, 2005, 03:33:48 PM
Should I upgrade my phpbb before using the converter?

The converter won't notice the difference whatsoever.  That said, I recommend you upgrade it if possible, because one minute with an old version of phpBB (or any other exploitable software) is too long in my opinion.

QuoteAlso, sorry if this is the stupidest question ever, but....when I run the converter script, it won't do anything to my phppbb other than simply copy the database and convert that info, right? I know very little php and mysql so I'm not sure how this works...it just worries me because my phpbb is a live board  ;D

Not at all - it's an important question.  The answer is, of course, no - it won't touch phpBB except to read data from it.

I should note - make sure you use the 1.0 converter for 1.0, and the 1.1 converter for 1.1.  They are different.

QuoteETA: I thought I'd mention, my current board has no modifications - I happened to download it and get it running the same night the next version was released  ::)

Ah, that'll make conversion a snap ;).

-[Unknown]

discojo

You know, I think that was the easiest thing I've ever done  :)

I just have to say, SMF is awesome! Its been a few years since I had the need for a msg board - so when I went looking this time around I was NOT happy because I couldn't find the board I used to use, it was so great. Once I found SMF, I realized...it was Yabb SE I used  ;) Maybe someday I'll get good enough with php that I can contribute something here besides questions   :D

[Unknown]

Questions can be good too ;).  Some people underestimate their importance - not only do they "make people think", but more importantly... a frequent question usually indicates something that isn't clear or logical enough in the software (and thus, should be changed.)

For example, I should probably add a notice to the downloads page, right next to the converters, describing that they do not modify the source forum in any way.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: