News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Query for Traffic

Started by colby2152, July 07, 2011, 10:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colby2152

I created an HTML form that sends data to the PHP file and produces output.  I have no interest in breaking down the timestamps into seconds, minutes, or hours.  I am interested in looking at the record of traffic between two dates (assume time is midnight).  How can I enter two such dates and have them converted to the timestamp?
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

Joker™

Quote from: Project Evolution on August 11, 2011, 01:37:25 PM
There we go, the code looks awesome. :D
Thanks a lot.

Joker hands over a drink (soft one :P)
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

ascaland

Quote from: colby2152 on August 11, 2011, 01:48:40 PM
I created an HTML form that sends data to the PHP file and produces output.  I have no interest in breaking down the timestamps into seconds, minutes, or hours.  I am interested in looking at the record of traffic between two dates (assume time is midnight).  How can I enter two such dates and have them converted to the timestamp?

You can use PHP's strtotime() function to convert a formatted string to time.
http://cz.php.net/manual/en/function.strtotime.php

colby2152

Latest code gives error....

Database error, given array of integer values is empty. (boards_list)
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

ascaland

Quote from: colby2152 on August 11, 2011, 01:57:51 PM
Latest code gives error....

Database error, given array of integer values is empty. (boards_list)

This is most likely because in your original post you said child boards of child boards. So in this case picture this format,

Parent Board 1 -> Child Board 1 -> Child Board of Child 1, Child Board of Child 2
                        Child Board 2 -> Child Board of Child 1

The underlined board is the ID you need to set, while the boards in bold are those which will have the number of views and replies counted.

colby2152

Got it... what I really want is in your example..

Parent Board 1 -> Child Board 1 -> Child Board of Child 1, Child Board of Child 2 -> Grandchild Board of Child Board 1

So, board ID, all boards underneath it plus that board

ascaland

Well thats something quite different than what you wanted in your original post.. So im going to need time to rewrite a part of it.

colby2152

Quote from: Project Evolution on August 11, 2011, 02:22:27 PM
Well thats something quite different than what you wanted in your original post.. So im going to need time to rewrite a part of it.

My apologies for the miscommunication.  I truly appreciate the help you are providing here.  What site(s) do you run?

Joker™

Quote from: colby2152 on August 11, 2011, 02:06:16 PM
Parent Board 1 -> Child Board 1 -> Child Board of Child 1, Child Board of Child 2 -> Grandchild Board of Child Board 1

Are you sure you want to go that deep as I'm pretty sure it's going to place some considerable amount of load on your database if you have nice number of posts.

Off topic question, on what sort of hosting are you running your forum?
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

ascaland

I dont hose any major sites, my customization site has been offline though. :(
By the way, here is the updated code, give it a shot.
<?php

require_once('SSI.php');

num_views();

function 
num_views($output_method 'echo')
{
  global $smcFunc;

// The specified parent board id
  $idboard 1;
  // The first date
  $timestamp1 1310065085;
  // The second date
  $timestamp2 1312367343;

// Retrieve all child boards who inherit from parent board, include those, then select those who inherit from the previous boards
                // It is possible to have duplicate board ids, however that isnt a problem here
  $request $smcFunc['db_query'](''
 'SELECT childBoards.id_board, requestedBoards.id_board 
 FROM {db_prefix}boards AS requestedBoards
 INNER JOIN {db_prefix}boards AS childBoards ON (childBoards.id_parent = {int:parentId})
 WHERE requestedBoards.id_parent = childBoards.id_board'
  array(
  'parentId' => $boardId,
  )
  );

$boards = array($idboard);
  while ($row $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request)) {
  $boards[] = $row['id_board'];
  }

$smcFunc['db_free_result']($request);

// Next, retrieve all the topics in the boards where the timestamp is between two dates.
  // Once found, just output num_views
  $request $smcFunc['db_query'](''
  'SELECT t.num_views 
  FROM {db_prefix}topics AS t
  INNER JOIN {db_prefix}messages AS m ON (m.id_msg = t.id_first_msg)
  WHERE t.id_board IN ({array_int:boards_list}) AND m.poster_time BETWEEN {int:date1} AND {int:date2}'
  array(
  'boards_list' => $boards,
  'date1' => $timestamp1,
  'date2' => $timestamp2,
  )
  );

// Your total number of views in this variable
  $num_views 0;
  while ($row $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request))
  {
  $num_views += $row['num_views'];

}
  $smcFunc['db_free_result']($request);
  if ($output_method == 'echo')
  {
  echo $num_views;
  }
}

?>

colby2152

Error...

No database selected

ascaland

Hmm well thats an odd one.. This error only came up when you applied the above code? If that was the case, please try the updated code above.

colby2152

Quote from: Project Evolution on August 11, 2011, 04:55:12 PM
Hmm well thats an odd one.. This error only came up when you applied the above code? If that was the case, please try the updated code above.

What was updated?  Will try it later when I have access.

ascaland

Quote from: colby2152 on August 12, 2011, 02:41:35 PM
Quote from: Project Evolution on August 11, 2011, 04:55:12 PM

What was updated?  Will try it later when I have access.

I accidentally missed a db_prefix in the query.

colby2152

An Error Has Occurred!
Wrong value type sent to the database. Array of integers expected. (boards_list)

ascaland

I noticed the variable names got changed up from the original codes, so from the last block of code I posted,
Code (Replace) Select
'parentId' => $boardId,
Code (With) Select
'parentId' => $idboard,

colby2152

Thanks... I had changed the ID in my variables but not in the code.  I will test the numbers out, but right now I have results!

colby2152

Initial testing shows some issues.  For example, I test on a parent board which has no topics and the result is zero.  However, the results of its child boards is greater than zero.  The code should give at leas the sum of the child boards.

I also tested on a board in which there were several posts two days ago.  I used a date span that would cover August 10th through today and the result was zero.  Please note that I am utilizing the strtotime function where inputs in the HTML form are in the form of DD Month YYYY (example 14 August 2011).

ascaland

I see, well im going to have to retest this and fix it up so expect some time for me to do it.

colby2152

Quote from: Project Evolution on August 14, 2011, 10:38:14 PM
I see, well im going to have to retest this and fix it up so expect some time for me to do it.

No problem... I appreciate it and would look forward to working with you for some paid coding opportunities.

Advertisement: