[smf 2.0] Tagging Members

Started by bedeceived, July 10, 2011, 08:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedeceived

Hello.  This is my first mod request, so hopefully I'm doing it right. 

Basically, I want to know if there is a way we can "tag" members in a post.  Sort of like on facebook you can be tagged in a post, and you will get a message saying you were tagged.  I would like to have some sort of feature so you can tag a member, and that member will get a PM saying "you were tagged in this post by this user at this time", and be able to go to that post.

If anyone could help me with this I would GREATLY appreciate it.  I am using SMF 2.0 with the Helios Multi theme. 

Thanks in advance,
Collin

EDIT: 
I would be willing to pay for this mod, but I think I'm going to be sticking to smf 2.0

Version
SMF 2.0

Description
A tagging system for SMF.  Basically I want it to be sort of like Facebook.  On Facebook, you can tag any of your friends in your posts.  They will receive a notification, and can view that post by clicking the notification.  I would like it to be the same on SMF, only with members, and it should send a PM when a user is tagged.  There are a few different ways I would be most satisfied with this working.  I have them listed here, in order of which I would like the most.

1.  When making a post, the user can put an @ symbol, and a text box will come up above it asking you to specify a user.  You can either opt out (in case you wanted the @ symbol for something else) or you can type in the name of a user and click on their name as it shows up in the box.  This user is now "tagged" in the post and the text for their name will show up as a link to their profile.  When you hit post, the tagged member(s) will receive a notification by PM that they were tagged in a post.  In the PM, it will state that the user was tagged and display a link to where they were tagged so they can review it.  This is exactly how Facebook's system works.

2.  When making a post, the user can click a box in the interface (near the smileys) that will bring up a list of members.  They can search for a member, and upon clicking that member will be inserted into the post, the same as above.  All other functions should be carried out the same as above.

3.  When making a post, the user can click a box in the interface and check which users are to be tagged in the post.  These users will be notified and the "tagged users" will be displayed at the bottom of the post after you hit send.  The difference between this and the previous option is that the tagged members will not be shown in the post with a link to their profile.

If the first or second ones could be done, i would be most satisfied.  It'd still be nice to have the 3rd one, but that's if the others simply aren't possible.

I am using SMF 2.0, as I said above.

Permissions
Any member should be able to have permissions to use the mod.  There should, however, be a way to specify what users cannot tag other members, just incase someone abuses the feature.

Feature Set
[Utilize this section to discuss exactly what features you want.  Admin options?  User options?  There really is no limit except the programmer, so feel free to be as specific as you can.]
The users should be able to specify whether they would like to receive PMs or not from being tagged.  While this would defeat the purpose of the tagging system, I wouldn't want to annoy anyone who really didn't like the notifications. 
I, as admin, should be able to enable or disable tagging and choose how many members can be tagged in a given post.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone could help me out with this. Thanks!

Suki

Can you explain how an user is tagged?   I don't use facebook so I really don't know how that works.

also, is this for SMF 2.0?   please fill out the form from this topic:  READ ME: How To Request A Modification (Mod)  this will help any coder interested in taking over this mod request.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

bedeceived

I would be willing to pay for this mod, but I think I'm going to be sticking to smf 2.0

Version
SMF 2.0

Description
A tagging system for SMF.  Basically I want it to be sort of like Facebook.  On Facebook, you can tag any of your friends in your posts.  They will receive a notification, and can view that post by clicking the notification.  I would like it to be the same on SMF, only with members, and it should send a PM when a user is tagged.  There are a few different ways I would be most satisfied with this working.  I have them listed here, in order of which I would like the most.

1.  When making a post, the user can put an @ symbol, and a text box will come up above it asking you to specify a user.  You can either opt out (in case you wanted the @ symbol for something else) or you can type in the name of a user and click on their name as it shows up in the box.  This user is now "tagged" in the post and the text for their name will show up as a link to their profile.  When you hit post, the tagged member(s) will receive a notification by PM that they were tagged in a post.  In the PM, it will state that the user was tagged and display a link to where they were tagged so they can review it.  This is exactly how Facebook's system works.

2.  When making a post, the user can click a box in the interface (near the smileys) that will bring up a list of members.  They can search for a member, and upon clicking that member will be inserted into the post, the same as above.  All other functions should be carried out the same as above.

3.  When making a post, the user can click a box in the interface and check which users are to be tagged in the post.  These users will be notified and the "tagged users" will be displayed at the bottom of the post after you hit send.  The difference between this and the previous option is that the tagged members will not be shown in the post with a link to their profile.

If the first or second ones could be done, i would be most satisfied.  It'd still be nice to have the 3rd one, but that's if the others simply aren't possible.

I am using SMF 2.0, as I said above.

Permissions
Any member should be able to have permissions to use the mod.  There should, however, be a way to specify what users cannot tag other members, just incase someone abuses the feature.

Feature Set
[Utilize this section to discuss exactly what features you want.  Admin options?  User options?  There really is no limit except the programmer, so feel free to be as specific as you can.]
The users should be able to specify whether they would like to receive PMs or not from being tagged.  While this would defeat the purpose of the tagging system, I wouldn't want to annoy anyone who really didn't like the notifications. 
I, as admin, should be able to enable or disable tagging and choose how many members can be tagged in a given post.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone could help me out with this. Thanks!

razors edge

I have seen something like this used on vb forums. I thought it was pretty cool. One of my forums actually has a use for it if someone ever coded this for smf.  Here is a link to the vb mod

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242733

bedeceived

Sounds like exactly what I want!  Too bad it isn't for SMF :(

Suki

I would love to give it a chance on this but unfortunately I have way too much mods that needs to be updated to 2.0 before I take yet another mod :(
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Ascot

I agree with this request. Also available for newer smf versions. I really want this because it will be a way to encourage users to check some topics or answer something to another user. This feature is a key for activity on forums.
And is a better way to make users aware of each other.

Also it can include tagging on posted pictures, it would be great!

Hope someone can do this please.
Thanks in advance.

MadTurki

I really really want a mod like this as well...  Hope someone picks it up!

Suki

I gave it a try a few weeks back,  the resulting code wasn't very good,  it was ugly and was doing a query per user tagged per message  so I gave up on this.

BaghdadGhost

Quote from: Miss All Sunday on September 18, 2011, 07:46:30 PM
I gave it a try a few weeks back,  the resulting code wasn't very good,  it was ugly and was doing a query per user tagged per message  so I gave up on this.

although I wasnt the person asking for it, but thanks for trying

bedeceived

Suki

Quote from: bedeceived on November 22, 2011, 05:07:54 PM
Thanks for trying!

It isn't over yet, I have to write something very similar to this for another mod I'm working on.

There are two main issues with this, at least for me, first, the regex to catch the tagging, must be something like space@anyvalid character space

Then it comes the queries, one query per user mentioned per message per topic,  this could cause problems on a busy forum.

On the mod I'm working on it will be a much easier task since I will not use parse_bbc but a custom much simple parser function, however, for messages and topics parser_bbc() will have to be modified and oh dear lord, that is something I definitely do not want to do :P

Abbess

Hi! I have also noticed on a vbulletin site that they have recently started using a Like on each post, where people press it, just like facebook again, to show they like / agree with the post! Is this possible for smf?

Suki

There are some mods that implements a like system, check the mod site.

about tagging I end up implementing this style:  {username}   much much easier to get via regex than the classic @username  tag

Gryzor

Quote from: Miss All Sunday on December 19, 2011, 01:05:42 PM
about tagging I end up implementing this style:  {username}   much much easier to get via regex than the classic @username  tag

How would that work? Or you mean the poster has to use {} to tag user names?

Suki

Yes, this:  {Miss All Sunday}  becomes this:  @Miss All Sunday

It can be any symbol as long as there is an initial and and end symbol, I just chose {}  because it's easier to type.

Gryzor

If it saves hits on the db then yes, go for it, though @username is well-known and easier to use. Maybe make the special char customizable in the options?

Suki

twitter uses @username because there are no spaces in their usernames  thus, making it much much easier to manage via regex.

SMF does accept spaces, so it is imposible to get via regex an username,  for example this text:

Hi, today I went to @Miss All Sunday's forum, looks pretty awesome but its awfully empty!

Since there are not limits on how many spaces can be in an username in SMF, you cannot build a regex to get the username, you can't predetermine when the username ends, thus, the need for a closer symbol

Thats the only reason, it does not save any db queries, the script still needs to call  LoadMemberdata  to check if the user exists, we only are providing the username, the entire burden falls on  LoadMemberdata

Gryzor

Ah, I see. I hadn't realised SMF allows spaces in usernames (duh)... That's a pity then!

Suki

I'm working on something else right now, (which uses {username}), I will see if I have some time to port that code and build a mod for it.

it will consume some resources though, at least a query to loadmemberdata() per user mentioned, the good thing is that this will be done before sending the post to the database so there is no need to touch the monster called parse_bbc()

Yeah, making the start and end symbols to be selected by the user it's a good idea, however, there must be some limitations on that, we can't just let the admin chose whatever symbol they want unfortunately...  perhaps a select box with some predefined options.

Advertisement: