News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Converting question

Started by johnwise, August 01, 2005, 11:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnwise

When converting(phpbb to smf), can I use the same db that my phpbb board is using?  What precautions should I take, if so?
Thanks.

dtm.exe

After converting, you'll be left with your newly created SMF database as well as your old phpBB database.  You have to use only the SMF database with SMF.

-Dan The Man

johnwise

Sorry, I must be missing something.  I have only one db.  I am guessing that the smf software will produce new tables in that db.  And the phpbb tables will be left alone?

Also, when converting.  Would it be okay to have mods made for the board prior to converting?  That way it would be ready to go?
Thanks.

dtm.exe

Quote from: johnwise on August 02, 2005, 12:20:47 AM
Sorry, I must be missing something.  I have only one db.  I am guessing that the smf software will produce new tables in that db.  And the phpbb tables will be left alone?

You *can* do it that way, yes.  Or you can create a separate and new database for SMF.

QuoteAlso, when converting.  Would it be okay to have mods made for the board prior to converting?  That way it would be ready to go?
Thanks.

That would work, yes.

-Dan The Man

[Unknown]

Quote from: johnwise on August 02, 2005, 12:20:47 AM

I would suggest using the one database for both softwares either way.  Just make sure you use a unique prefix - smf_ should be fine, which is the default.

The installer will not in any circumstance delete or modify any tables which are already there.  The converter will only modify the destination tables.

QuoteAlso, when converting.  Would it be okay to have mods made for the board prior to converting?  That way it would be ready to go?

Yes, except when they modify the database too extremely (which none do at the moment.)

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on August 01, 2005, 11:48:35 PM
You have to use only the SMF database with SMF.

I'm afraid this statement was incorrect.

-[Unknown]

johnwise

Advertisement: