News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

More Detailed Logging

Started by [Crash_Override], July 26, 2011, 02:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Crash_Override]

I realize that the standard logging in SMF is pretty good and that there are a few mods out there to allow other items such as poll locks, and what not to be logged.

However there is a limit to what is and what is not logged, mainly membergroup assignments, username changes by admins, and of course poll modifications.

I know most of these logs are standard in other forum platforms such as phpbb, and IPboards but is there a plan to make this standard in a future version of SMF

also why is it the Moderation log in the ACP shows all of the events carried out on the forum, yet the moderation log in the regular for global moderators shows next to none?

Angelina Belle

And, for example, all user profile changes, including changes to the user's avatar.

It may be that a "more detailed logging" mod is the way to go, for now.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

[Crash_Override]

Well the thing is most of those changes are logged in the SQL table SMF_log_actions

such entries consist of:

id_group - membergroup change
real_name - username change
additional groups - adding to a membergroup

but they are not parsed because of the column id_log in which only actions with a value of 1 will show.

All other have a value of 2, I experimented a little by changing all the values to 1 in SQL and then they showed up but had no discernible action associated with them aside from the SQL value.

So this is not just a database thing it is also a way that SMF parses and displays the SQL results

Kindred

only if it could be turned off....  I have no need or desire for that detail in logging... and with my database already pushing 3 gigs on messages alone, I don't need more crap stored in the log tables.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

[Crash_Override]

well that's just the thing all of those log entries I mentioned, just sit there in the database and take up space.  They are not purged by any function in SMF (only the main ones like the topic delete/move/lock/etc . . .) unless you actually go into your SQL database and truncate that table. 

BTW 3gb your lucky as most hosts have at most a 1gb total size for SQL databases. 

青山 素子

I agree with the topic starter. If the logs do exist, it would be nice to add a way to view them in the UI, even if they are not enabled by default. Otherwise, there isn't any point in storing them in the first place.

Quote from: [Crash_Override] on July 28, 2011, 07:09:33 PM
BTW 3gb your lucky as most hosts have at most a 1gb total size for SQL databases. 

Kindred manages a very large forum with over 2.5 million posts. I don't believe he's using shared hosting.

Most oversellers have a database size limit. It's one of the ways they make sure to actually limit you. Decent shared hosts simply count it against your total overall disk quota.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

[Crash_Override]

Okay I believe I have figured this one out:

events with id_log of 1 are displayed in the "moderation log"

events with id_log of 3 are displayed in the "administration log"

the events with the id_log of 2 are actually stored in a users profile, so if you go to a users profile -> Track User -> Profile Edits.  There are all of the other log values that I was talking about.

So they are there they are just hidden in a different part of the forum.

now if there were a way to remove them, possibly after a period of 24-48 hours similar to the admin/mod logs

Angelina Belle

sounds like a good mod.
I think that some profile edits (like avatar change) are not recorded, though.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

[Crash_Override]

Can anyone help me develop a way to delete the member profile edits via an admin permission, I have several members who are constantly editing their profiles and racking up this log files size very quickly?

Illori

at this time it does not look like you can remove those entries.

emanuele

Quote from: Kindred on July 28, 2011, 07:03:31 PM
only if it could be turned off....
As soon as the next release will be out I have in mind to write a mod for that. :P

Quote from: [Crash_Override] on March 13, 2012, 03:28:36 AM
Can anyone help me develop a way to delete the member profile edits via an admin permission, I have several members who are constantly editing their profiles and racking up this log files size very quickly?
You should be able to get something by copying for example the code from the maintenance tasks "log pruning".

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: