Concept question

Started by TarantinoArchives, August 03, 2005, 08:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarantinoArchives

I have a question, maybe some of you have tried similar and can help me out.

I created a website (using Wiki Software MediaWiki).

And I put up an SMF forum in a sub-directory /forum.

Now what I want to do is integrate the forum into the wiki  A LITTLE.

a) either show the wiki navigation bar in the forum or have it shown/hidden like the navigation bar of simplemachines.org main site
b) or link the forum search bar (as an option) to the wiki search engine

or what other things can you think of? i just want to provide an easy as possible way to switch from forum to wiki and vice versa...

1MileCrash

you can easily put a sidebar with navigation to your main site, then add your own html content....which would be your site's nav. bar.

in index.template.php, find
</head>
<body>';

Add the blue-
Quote</head>
<body>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
  <tr>
    <td width="20%">Your Content Goes Here</td>
    <td width="80%">
';

then, before the linktree and navigation subtemplates, in index.template.php, find
   </body>
</html>';

add the blue-
Quote</td>
  </tr>
</table>

</body>
</html>';

you can adjust how big the sidebar is by the 20% and 80% in the first code i showed you to put. The entire forum will be in 80%, while the sidebar is the 20%. So to make the sizebar smaller, you could change them to 15%, and 85%, or w.e. vice versa. Add your main site nav. bar where it says "your content goes here". Use HTML.
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

TarantinoArchives

thanks i of course know how to do html tables.

i was merely trying to gather some ideas on how to make it good, you know. not just integrate 2 sites, but to think about what really makes sense, n stuff. more theory stuff :-)

nokonium

I am currently 'wrapping' a website around a forum using Bloc's TinyPortal. I know that it is a beta, but if you make a request in The BlocZone he can make the latest beta available to you, no need to rush as within a couple of weeks 0.7beta should be available.

Advertisement: