Conversion phpBB->SMF 1.0.5 not working

Started by ultraz, August 04, 2005, 08:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultraz

Hi, I know there are already a number of posts regarding conversion from phpBB etc, so I apologise in advance for starting yet another one but I think my problem is not as general.

I want to convert from phpBB 2.0.9 to SMF 1.0.5. I tried using the converter from your downloads page and it says that the version of SMF I use is not supported. So, funnily enough, it complains about my SMF version (repeat, it's 1.0.5) and not for my phpBB.

Please note that my phpBB installation is HEAVILY modded (including altered tables, new tables etc) but according to your converter this is not the problem.

Any ideas? I really want to convert to this board as it looks so much better than phpBB but can't.

Thanks in advance!

[Unknown]

Can you tell me what the result of this query is?

SELECT value
FROM smf_settings
WHERE variable = 'smfVersion'
LIMIT 1;

What is phpMyAdmin?

-[Unknown]

ultraz

Result is:

value 

Hm... that's odd ???? I've installed from the latest gzip from your website  :-\

Could mods I installed have affected this???

[Unknown]

Strange.  It should still work with that.  Anyway, you can remove this:

$request = mysql_query("
SELECT value
FROM {$to_prefix}settings
WHERE variable = 'smfVersion'
LIMIT 1");
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($request);
mysql_free_result($request);

if (empty($row['value']) || $row['value'] > 'SMF 1.0.99')
doStep0('The installation of SMF in the path you specified is not a version this converter can deal with.  If it is older than SMF 1.0, you need to upgrade first.  If it is newer, you need to use a different converter.');

From the converter, and it shouldn't stop you.

-[Unknown]

ultraz

OK thanks for your help. The question here is how on earth it turned out as 1.0.5 instead of 1.0.2. I could swear I installed the right files etc.

May I also ask this: will the converter be "happy" with a heavily modded phpBB? I.e. will it just ignore any additional table fields or whole tables and proceed?

As you've guessed I'm not bothered with phpBB MODS data, all I really want is the posts, the post counts, people's profiles etc etc this is my main concern.

[Unknown]

Quote from: ultraz on August 04, 2005, 08:58:35 AM
OK thanks for your help. The question here is how on earth it turned out as 1.0.5 instead of 1.0.2. I could swear I installed the right files etc.

I'm not sure.  Luckily, there were no database changes in between 1.0.2 and 1.0.5, so it shouldn't matter as long as you're using the latest files.

As for this problem, I think I've identified what was wrong.  The converter has been updated.

QuoteMay I also ask this: will the converter be "happy" with a heavily modded phpBB? I.e. will it just ignore any additional table fields or whole tables and proceed?

It will try.  Usually, yes.  But, some mods are harder to ignore than others.  In any case, if you get any errors please feel free to post them here - we can probably work around whatever comes up, if anything.

-[Unknown]

ultraz

Many thanks  ;) I'm re-uploading SMF now and will try the conversion etc again. See how that works out and let you know of the results.

Advertisement: