News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Newbie Question: What To Do With Previous SMF DB?

Started by dimensionmedia, August 05, 2005, 01:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dimensionmedia

Hey there, i'm moving from one server to another. I've already got the SMF 1.0.5 installed on the NEW server. I'm using an old version of SMF RC1 on my current server. Question is - should I leave the 1.0.5. installation be and attempt to upload or import the RC1 database? Or should I copy the whole forum over to the new server and then attempt on upgrade? I want to keep my forum members and posts, obviously. Thanks!

[Unknown]

Copy over and then attempt to upgrade, or upgrade first and then copy over.  But you will need to run the upgrade at some point if you want it to work.

Either way, backup first, before, during, and ever after.  Backups are man's second best friend!

-[Unknown]

dimensionmedia

if i want to just copy over the data from RC1 to 1.0.5, what do i need to copy over? just the msql database?

xenovanis

Download the updatepackage for 1.0.5, you can find it here on the download page, extract it to your harddrive, upload all files to your forumlocation and run upgrade.php. Now, your forum is upgraded and you can make a backup of your files and database and move to the other server.

Or, backup your files and database first, move servers and then proceed with the upgrade.

Moving Server
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Advertisement: