News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

What is the best portal for 2.0?

Started by oldrow, August 11, 2011, 02:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillyP

Quote from: Kindred on August 24, 2011, 11:11:05 AM
you could not have chosen TP over ADK years ago, since ADKportal was just released this year....

I should have said I chose TP over every other portal that was available at the time. I assumed that included ADK, my mistake. My memory is not that good that I would remember which ones or why. I originally had used phpBB but did not like the support I got on a simple question.

agridoc

ADK portal was officially released on Nov. 4 2009, so it's 1 year 9 months and 20 days old.

However numbers can be misleading if someone doesn't know the story behind. TinyPortal's first release is Feb. 10 2005 but Bloc very soon put an announcement that it was a beta version and uploads were available only from his site and only for registered members. I had to convince him after quite a few years that being off SMF modsite was not a good policy and that we were loosing popularity. Arantor with his DreamPortal does the same now, not in SMF modsite. It's up to the creator to decide. As most portals offer downloading from their homesite, downloads in SMF modsite is not a good index of popularity.

A rough index of popularity is Google search. Portal names were used in quotes for better accuracy. So wo get for

SimplePortal: 4.080.000 results
TinyPortal:   3.890.000 results
ezPortal:     1.180.000 results
PortaMX:        599.000 results
ADK Portal:     452.000 results
Dream Portal:    62.000 results
Gencportal:      13.600 results

So we have a clear heading by SP and TP, SP just slightly in front, with others following. I believe real popularity relation might be slightly different than this given by Google search but not very much.

Popularity is something to consider but it's not a safe measure of what is best for someone's need. These numbers will change with time. Newer software need time to become popular. However, popularity is not a useless measure, if correctly estimated.

TinyPortal's popularity was greatly affected by Bloc's retirement from the project but it quickly gains lost space with IchBin™ showing a remarkable strength and ability as developer and leader.  ;)
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

feline

Quote from: agridoc on August 24, 2011, 02:03:12 PM
So we have a clear heading by SP and TP, SP just slightly in front, with others following. I believe real popularity relation might be slightly different than this given by Google search but not very much.
You have to note that the most portals are available for SMF 1.x and 2.x, PortaMx as example is ONLY for 2.0.
Also you have to note the first development time and the number of topics they written in the support forums.
And many posts in a support forum mostly indicate problems and questions which a users have...

bloc

Quote from: feline on August 24, 2011, 11:42:03 AM
I think it is legal to highlight the advantages of its own product without having to speak negatively about other products. But it can not be meaningful in this discussion, to assess other people so negative.
Everyone should review existing products and form his own opinion.
Legal, sure, but you use constantly a tactic that put people off. No respect for others work in sight, and you keep hammering in "this and that feature is absolutely necessary" - when it clearly is not.

Envy? :) lol, I don't think you know me, Feline, nor did you ever I would imagine,even when we worked on TP at one time years ago.

But back to what I said: why is SimplePortal much more popular than PortaMX then? If it is indeed much better, would not people flock around it and give up all their SP/TP/EzPortal sites to give PMX its deserved popularity? The thing is that you are TOO busy getting people to use your mod that its off-putting.

The thing about SMF 2.0 versus SMF 1.1 is true. But at least half the SMF sites now use SMF 2.0.. Its not just about how many features you have. SP has even less than TP or PMX, maybe more portals too..but it still hit a spot with users. Why?

oldrow

This is great feedback on all of them, however I am still undecided!  :P

feline

Bloc, you know that many of your attempts TP friends have our portal and especially for me as a person to do bad.
Should I publish the messages here is where I claimed had copied TinyPortal?
Should I post the nasty insults from Crip here?
These are all things that have hurt us, but we have still managed to have a modern and promising future portal development.
Which of these portals, the user ultimately decides is not in your or my hand ... that the user decides.

bloc

Quote from: feline on August 25, 2011, 07:28:25 AM
Bloc, you know that many of your attempts TP friends have our portal and especially for me as a person to do bad.
Should I publish the messages here is where I claimed had copied TinyPortal?
Should I post the nasty insults from Crip here?
These are all things that have hurt us, but we have still managed to have a modern and promising future portal development.
Which of these portals, the user ultimately decides is not in your or my hand ... that the user decides.

Now this will turn into a off-topic thing again..so I'll be very short: you can post whatever you like, Feline. Threats like that will only bounce back at yourself.

Kindred

enough....

Personal issues between the various authors aside. :P

Bottom line is (as always) test them out for yourself and find the one which works for your needs.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ZarPrime

I wish I could see into the future.  I would love to know what Portal Feline's users decide to go with once she is tired of coding for it and it goes the way of her blog software, into the crapper. :P

Reference ...
http://portamx.com/2525/support-for-pmxblog-stopped/
http://portamx.com/2532/pmxblog-1-0-for-smf-2-0-and-a-installed-portamx-1-x/

tragidy

Question about the portals.

Which has the better GPL/GNU license if any?
Open source Matters, the GNU GPL License is one of the most valuable text ever created by mankind.
Support all open source projects when possible as their concepts are paving the future. ~ tragidy

Kindred

GPL sucks...

AFAIK, none of the existing portals use GPL or even BSD...   I think they are all proprietary licenses.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

WillyP

Quote from: oldrow on August 24, 2011, 06:48:08 PM
This is great feedback on all of them, however I am still undecided!  :P

Do you have any specific questions?

Quote from: Kindred on August 25, 2011, 11:16:48 AM
enough....

Personal issues between the various authors aside. :P
Quite true!

Quote from: Kindred on August 25, 2011, 11:16:48 AM
Bottom line is (as always) test them out for yourself and find the one which works for your needs.
Excellent advice!

feline

Quote from: ZarPrime on August 25, 2011, 10:53:07 PM
I wish I could see into the future.  I would love to know what Portal Feline's users decide to go with once she is tired of coding for it and it goes the way of her blog software, into the crapper. :P
If a product is no longer used, it is normal that this product will be withdrawn from the market. What is so objectionable?
It is reprehensible that we have decided to wish a few more users to make an update?

live627

Quote from: Kindred on August 26, 2011, 10:41:36 AM
AFAIK, none of the existing portals use GPL or even BSD...   I think they are all proprietary licenses.
Dream Portal was OSI until they were forked...

TheListener

Simple Portal is now 2.0.1 friendly.

lucas-ruroken

sorry for restart an old topic...
QuoteADK portal was officially released on Nov. 4 2009, so it's 1 year 9 months and 20 days old.

but... adkportal was approved by smf on 2011
Adk Portal 3.1 is coming....

Design your universe!

Advertisement: