News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Is there a way to export Forums to PDFs?

Started by sickofit, August 16, 2011, 03:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sickofit

As an adminstrator, is there a way to export Forums to PDFs and have all the imagery fit?

kat

Not a chance.

A pdf can't read the database.

(Of course, I may be wrong) ;)

Illori

you would need some type of crawler that would find all your pages and convert the html to pdf, i dont know if there are any mods that can do that.

kat

If you download the whole site, it could be converted. (I thought you meant that you wanted it to be kinda "live")

You could even make a chm file, if you prefer those over pdf.

sickofit

Thank you,

What are the steps to downloading the whole sight?

kat

With Opera, go to the "File" menu and select "Save as" (Set the "Save as type" to what you want). With Firefox the options are File > Save Page As, Web page complete, I believe. Dunno about other browsers.

There are various tools that will do the same job, with different options, such as this:

http://www.httrack.com

karlbenson

beware with running software to download a whole website.

It may make too many requests and knock your site offline, or worse get your site banned by the server host.

kat

That's a damned good shout!

Good finkin', Karl! :)

hartiberlin

What is the easiest way when you used HTTRACK and have your Forum mirrored on your harddisk this way as
HTML Files and pictures to get the single threads of the boards converted to single PDF files ?

I don´t want to do this manually, if a thread has over 1000 pages and all pages and all pictures posted as attachments
should be in the PDF file then.

Is there a software that can do this automatically ?

So when a board has 500 threads I want to have 500 PDF files then from it.

Or is there any new MOD coming out that allows PDF export of a thread ?

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

mashby

I'm curious as to the need here? Why not just visit the site? If you made a PDF out of every topic and two days later replies were made in some of the topics, aren't your PDFs out of date?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

hartiberlin

It is only for a locked topic, that I want to remove but keep its content as a PDF file for
legal reasons..

Any idea ?

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

mashby

Print the topic as a PDF. Or move the topic to an admin only area.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Advertisement: