News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Tool for removing old phpbb db tables

Started by johnwise, August 07, 2005, 01:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnwise

I have just converted my phpbb board to smf.  Really, what a nice change.

I used the same db for smf as I did for phpbb.  Now I do have Enterprise Manager for my db at another site I have.  But I know nothing about MySQL.  I assume it would be wise for me to eliminate the tables in the db that are phpbb_, or whatever they were prefixed with?   Any tool I can grab from somewhere that can do that, if that is what I should do?

Thanks.

I must add this.  I have had message boards for over 4 years.  The first 2.5 was with UBB, in some form or another.  That was a nightmare.  I mean a nightmare.  I made a HUGE mistake of switching from their crappy board that I actually owned to a hosted board.  Wow.  What problems I had with both scenarios.  When I left there for phpbb, I lost about 65,000 posts.

phpbb wasn't as bad, but I did have trouble.  And got extremely frustrated with the pain-in-the-butt upgrades.  But you had to do them because of the security problems.  I lost about 20,000 posts with a phpbb board due to a virus of some sort.  Back in December.

Mainly, what I like here is you get questions answered.  At phpbb, you may not get an answer.  And when you do, it may be a smart -ass answer.  Not that all were nasty.  But enough.  And the board does have a tremendous amount of activity.  But the quality doesn't match the quantity.

Thanks.

xenovanis

Do you have phpMyAdmin? If you have cpanel on your server, probably phpMyAdmin is installed to manage your database. In phpMyAdmin you can select the tables you want to delete and delete them.

What is phpMyAdmin?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

[Unknown]

Make a backup first!

Personally, I don't like tools that remove tables, because there's always that inherent... it deletes tables thing about it.  Again, I would recommend backing everything up first, and then removing the tables if you wish.

Most technically, you don't need to remove the tables at all.  The only bad thing they're doing there is taking up space.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: