News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can not log in after conversion - Please help

Started by digitalmikey, July 21, 2011, 09:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalmikey

Alright guys, I have seen a few posts about this but much of the response is "It should work", the fact of the matter is I don't think it does.

I was running a vBulletin 3.8 board and decided to make the switch over to SMF. I used the Vbulletin 3.7 to SMF 2-0 and it converted successfully, however none of my users can log in. I actually had to manually go in to my database and change my admin password just to get myself to log in. Now what I want/need to know is if this is a bug or what? This is a big one if it is as what good is a forum if your members can't log in?

Can any developers or modders, or anyone else chime in and help me with this issue?

Thanks!

digitalmikey

Alex' Manson

Bump... why on earth is everyone not helping him.. if i was him i would never open smf or use them anymore, because it simply ruined his forum, literally.

digitalmikey

Quote from: Sisko Punk on July 25, 2011, 11:47:47 PM
Bump... why on earth is everyone not helping him.. if i was him i would never open smf or use them anymore, because it simply ruined his forum, literally.

I'm not sure if this was sarcasm but if I came off like that I apologize.

Either way myself as well as many others are looking for an update in the 3.7 conversion tool or a release of an 3.8 tool. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions on this?

Alex' Manson

yes, it was sarcasm :P

anyways, have you tried launching the repair database and find or repair errors on the admin panel?
try doing it from phpmyadmin too.

digitalmikey

Quote from: Sisko Punk on July 31, 2011, 07:37:14 PM
yes, it was sarcasm :P

anyways, have you tried launching the repair database and find or repair errors on the admin panel?
try doing it from phpmyadmin too.

I don't think I totally get what you mean.

I run the conversion tool which I assume is the latest one for vB 3.8 to SMF 2.0 Gold and my users all have to change their password because the database password tables are different or something. I have no problem going in and making manual edits or adjusting tables in phpmyadmin so long as I know what to do, which I do not. If you could explain a bit more I would appreciate it!

I just don't want to make a few hundred users change their passwords entirely just because I switched forums.

Alex' Manson

just try using the "Repair" tool on the maintenance section on your admin panel, and click find and repair errors option too.

maybe the table got corrupt when converting and can get fixed by doing this simple step.
make sure you try the "repair" option from phpmyadmin too.

if it didn't help, not sure what to do.

digitalmikey

Quote from: Sisko Punk on July 31, 2011, 10:18:53 PM
just try using the "Repair" tool on the maintenance section on your admin panel, and click find and repair errors option too.

maybe the table got corrupt when converting and can get fixed by doing this simple step.
make sure you try the "repair" option from phpmyadmin too.

This won't fix the problem at all. We need an updated Conversion Tool for vBulletin 3.7/3.8 that will modify the password table to convert vB password to SMF ones so users don't have to do a password recovery after a forum transfer. Can anyone else shine some light on this? Maybe it's easier than I think it is?
if it didn't help, not sure what to do.

digitalmikey

Anything? Anyone? Do developers and mods not visit this section?

Alex' Manson

i actually saw your comments on another topic about this issue and some people tried to give you help.
so.. my guess is no-body knows why did this happen' for you.

David W

Hi their it sounds like a database issue

what control panel do you use as most have a built in feature to fix the databases

Alex' Manson

Quote from: David W on August 08, 2011, 05:52:37 PM
Hi their it sounds like a database issue

what control panel do you use as most have a built in feature to fix the databases

i already told him to use the repair function, but all he said is that the database (password one) didn't get updated at all, so "repairing" it won't help.

digitalmikey

I've tried repairing in SMF, it did nothing.

You told me to repair in PHPMYADMIN yet didn't tell me where or how.

What I am saying is for some reason the 3.7 convert tool seems to not be converting the password row completely from vB 3.8. I doubt it's just me as I have followed the directions perfectly. If you could shed some light on how to fix via Phpmyadmin, I would be more than happy. Yet, you can't just tell me a vague thing to do and expect me to know exactly what you are talking about. Please be a bit more detailed. Thanks!

digitalmikey

After looking over and comparing my two databases vb 3.8.6 and SMF 2 Gold I can see a noticible difference between the password and salt fields.

vB 3.8
password - char(32) - latin1_swedish_ci
salt - char(30) - latin1_swedish_ci

SMF 2.0 Gold
passwd - varchar(64) - latin1_swedish_ci
password_salt - varchar(32) - latin1_swedish_ci

Could this have anything to do with my problem? Again all I want is so my couple hundred users DO NOT have to recover their password when I convert my database. Please help.

Update: Repaired the entire SMF  _members table in Phpmyadmin. It did absolutely nothing.

ThorstenE

Quote from: digitalmikey on August 11, 2011, 01:29:28 PM
Could this have anything to do with my problem? Again all I want is so my couple hundred users DO NOT have to recover their password when I convert my database. Please help.
yep, that's one reason and there is another bug, see:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=433686.msg3042048#msg3042048
Unfortunately there are no developers working on converters (AFAIK), thus I don't expect a fix any time soon..

vegita

You should reset your password, vbulletin hash does not work with smf hash, and also send a newsletter to all your users to reset their password in order to login to the site.

Advertisement: