News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Better reputation system

Started by kontactG, September 15, 2011, 04:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kontactG

I feel the karma system is stale(sorry)
I don't know how to state but there are a few ideas and I don't know how can I put those in a structured way.

Apart from the applaud and smite, the number of comments and new topic started by that member shall also be counted. I'm not getting it shall be given great importance but shall be counted.

Like or '+1' system for comments and new topics.(shall be counted in karma)

Also, karma must also count the response a topic gets. If a members starts a topic and gets a lot of 'likes' and comments, his/her karma must be greater than other.

Also there must be a way to sort the comments by 'newest first' and 'most liked'

James--

Well, it would be awesome to create some kind of plugin or mod which automatically would do-follow the external links of a member who has 10+ karma points or more or something. That would be a fantastic feature.

Antes

Well achievement point system can be better. Rewards maybe;

* can post w/o filling captcha
* can put avatar, can put external links
* can put signature (basic)
* can use sig advanced (can put links-images etc...)

Norv

Quote from: kontactG on September 15, 2011, 04:19:32 AM
I feel the karma system is stale(sorry)

Agree. It's a start of a reputation system, but small and insufficient for what the users who need it, need it to behave like.

Apart from the applaud and smite, the number of comments and new topic started by that member shall also be counted. I'm not getting it shall be given great importance but shall be counted.

Dunno. Number of posts are counted separately and available for viewing... whether that has much meaning or not. Of course, the obvious issue would be if reputation is or should be indeed dependent on number of posts.

Like or '+1' system for comments and new topics.(shall be counted in karma)

This sounds useful for a reputation system.

Also, karma must also count the response a topic gets. If a members starts a topic and gets a lot of 'likes' and comments, his/her karma must be greater than other.

Dunno. :). Comments... if the topic starts a "war", it is possible to get a lot of comments. :D

If SMF should have a reputation system (should it really? I wonder if it's best left to extensions), using it for permissions is a different thing though. Depending on the reputation system's criteria, it could be seen as very useful or very unfair and/or impeding more than helping the building of a community. Not sure. A member who doesn't get "likes" (maybe their posts are perfectly okay, but not exactly impressive) wouldn't be able to do things unless they chase "some more likes"...
I don't know if the perspective I'm looking at things is likely or unlikely to happen, but there's something here I have very strong doubts about. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

CDM

Is there a mod for 1.1.16 that enables members to "like" their fellow members' posts?

CDM

Nevermind, just found this in another topic:
Quote from: Oldiesmann on January 28, 2012, 02:32:02 PM
I agree. I think this could be a useful feature for a future version of SMF, given how the internet is becoming more and more "social", even in the world of forums :)

There is already a mod for this as well, but it's not free (see http://www.smfpacks.com/likes if you're interested).
Looks interesting!

impreza

It is a good modification

Karma Description Mod
Portal ToTemat.pl - treści w postaci artykułów i filmów tematycznych.

MetalMusicMan

I'd like to see Karma expanded upon as well.  Maybe some kind of built-in award system like what Xenforo has?

"How'd you get to be so smart?"
"Trial and error."

-- Duncan MacLeod, Highlander (S1E20)

Admin of MetalMusicMan.com

Kindred

Who actually even uses Karma?
(none of the sites that I know of do so...)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MetalMusicMan

Quote from: Kindred on March 13, 2012, 11:46:38 AM
Who actually even uses Karma?
(none of the sites that I know of do so...)

Pretty much no one, but I think that's because it doesn't have much to it.  It'd be nice if you could award users something based on Karma "milestones" and whatnot.  I.e., reaching 20 Karma triggers a notification that the user has received a reward, then on the back-end you can specify a graphic, description, and then even a post-bit icon that designates to other users that the person received the award.

It's not something that I'd likely use on my own site, but I know a lot of sites would have a use for it.

"How'd you get to be so smart?"
"Trial and error."

-- Duncan MacLeod, Highlander (S1E20)

Admin of MetalMusicMan.com

$f3.3Xp3rT

Yea very nice and exellant ideaa..likee there should be

You need Reputation greater then 7 to Apply as admin !

Arantor

Reputation will not be a core feature. Likes is a core feature in 2.1, karma is in the process of being removed.

Advertisement: