How to convert from Ezboard to SMF

Started by Wittsend, August 11, 2005, 04:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

Morning all, I'm new to this, so go easy on me... ;D

Some while back I converted my forum:- http://p222.ezboard.com/bwittsendsystems [nofollow] to phpbb2  format (as a back-up strategy as ezboard had been hacked to death.) Phpbb2 do have a working convertor mod which is relatively easy to set up.

A few days ago I stumbled across SMF, where upon you have a phpbb2 to SMF convertor...with some decent instructions on how to do it.  One of the problems I have with phpbb2 is that whilst there are a lot of mods & addons, they don't all work and they interact with each other causing the think to locl-up and break down. What I've seen so far with SMF is that it sorts itself out for you and I prefer the overall style of it...

It all seems to work fine, and virtually everything copies over from ezboard in this 2-stage hop.

One slight problem. The MySQL database I have is allmost full!
How can this be, I have a size limit of 100MB.

The phpbb2 database was about 65MB in size (36,000 posts in 4000 topics) does this seem right?
After conversion to SMF (installed in the same database) the size is now 98MB !!!

Is there anyway to 'look' at the database and perhaps 'prune' the contents in some way ???

Thanks for any comments,
What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

Trekkie101

Did you delete the phpBB tables? SMF doesnt during conversion, it just copys the data it needs.

If your going to, remember and backup before hand.

Wittsend

No I didn't....mainly because I don't know how to... :(

I think I'll create another SMF version of the old phpBB2 forum and perhaps I'll experiment with that, if someone can point me in the right direction....

Wittsend

No I didn't delete any tables, mainly because I don't know how to :(

I'll try and create another SMF forum from the old phpBB2 one and have a try with that, if someone can steer me in the right direction as to what to do ?

[Unknown]

You're going to want to use phpMyAdmin or a similar tool to look at your database and see what's taking up space.

What is phpMyAdmin?

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: