SMF 2.0.1 and 1.1.15 critical security patches released

Started by Norv, September 18, 2011, 06:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

Gary

Quote from: wyckliffe on September 29, 2011, 07:05:37 AM
Im using smf on my host resellerspanel.com

The forum I found on there: http://forum.resellerspanel.com is running vBulletin. We can't help you there. But I'll assume you're one of their customers.

In which case, create a separate topic, linking to your own site, listing which version of SMF you're going to and from. If you're going from 1.1 to 2.0 you need to use the LARGE upgrade package which can not be run in the package manager.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Weatherservice

Unique weathercapture: check www.weatherservice.be

cicero costa

hxxp:www.terra-brasilis.org [nonactive]

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 18, 2011, 07:11:24 PM
Note to SMF 2.0 users...

If this isn't showing up in your admin center, you have a couple of options:
Download it from the Upgrades Site and install it through the package manager...
...and get beyond the error message that the file is corrupt or empty how, exactly? (the usual method has been to unpack the zip on own computer and then copy over the old files, so if there's a different method I'd like to hear it)
Run the "Fetch Simple Machines Files" scheduled task as follows:
Admin -> Maintenance -> Scheduled Tasks
Check the box in the "Run Now" column next to "Fetch Simple Machines Files"
Click the "Run Now" button
I did that and it didn't. Hmmmm.
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

Illori

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 19, 2011, 12:39:50 PM
Quote from: Ventic on September 19, 2011, 12:22:30 PM
i told you i dont wanna do the upgrade via the package manager but by uploading the files normally

Upgrading through the package manager is the only way you can do it without losing existing mods.
Well, then, I'm up the creek without a paddle because my Package Manager claims that the package is either empty or corrupt. Help?
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

Illori

Clara Listensprechen

Directions given in this thread are faulty and that needs to be pointed out to whomever else may be misled by them. Correcting the faulty information in this thread is in order.  Thank you.

Illori

it is not faulty it works just fine, and has been tested by many users that have upgraded their forums with no problems.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Clara Listensprechen on October 10, 2011, 11:29:42 AM
Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 19, 2011, 12:39:50 PM
Quote from: Ventic on September 19, 2011, 12:22:30 PM
i told you i dont wanna do the upgrade via the package manager but by uploading the files normally

Upgrading through the package manager is the only way you can do it without losing existing mods.
Well, then, I'm up the creek without a paddle because my Package Manager claims that the package is either empty or corrupt. Help?

Package manager update for 2.0 -> 2.0.1 http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/downloads/smf_patch_2.0.1.tar.gz
Package manager update for 1.1.14 -> 1.1.15 http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/downloads/smf_patch_1.1.15.tar.gz

Manual update instructions and the Package manager update patches are found at http://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

kat

Ahem...

Clara, I had the same problem that you had.

I know not why, nor do I know how to fix it.

BUT (And I think this should go in the documentation, too. I'm about to attempt to do that.), there's an easy way around it, you'll be pleased to know.

Get the upgrade archive/package and upload it, STILL ARCHIVED, into your Packages directory, using your FTP client.

Then, go to Package manager, to apply it.

Naturally, before you attempt this, you really ought to read my sig. ;)

EDIT: It's now on the wiki.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Patching

In the section marked "Obtaining the patch". :)

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: K@ on October 10, 2011, 12:29:16 PM
Ahem...

Clara, I had the same problem that you had.

I know not why, nor do I know how to fix it.

BUT (And I think this should go in the documentation, too. I'm about to attempt to do that.), there's an easy way around it, you'll be pleased to know.

Get the upgrade archive/package and upload it, STILL ARCHIVED, into your Packages directory, using your FTP client.

Then, go to Package manager, to apply it.

Naturally, before you attempt this, you really ought to read my sig. ;)

EDIT: It's now on the wiki.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Patching

In the section marked "Obtaining the patch". :)
Thanks k@. Other responses to this difficulty amount to "I pity da foo who don't know which section of this large board to go to to find stuff when time is of the essence".  Just navigation of this board alone is a time consuming research project, let alone figuring that Wiki is yet another place to spend quality research wheelspinning time on.  Many thanks.

=========================

By golly, what I needed to know  is in this one single line:

QuoteIn some cases, the upload to Packages may be corrupted, when you attempt this. In this case, you can upload the file (Still archived) to your Packages directory, using your FTP client. Then, go to Package Manager, to apply it.
Now how hard is it to just post THAT. Gee. And now anybody else coming to this thread FIRST (like I did) for that piece of information won't have to spend all friggin day looking through all the boards just to get rerouted to Wiki to spend the rest of the day over there. K@, lotsa smooches, you're a lifesaver!!

This deal with upgrading via the Package Manager has always been an issue, and it's always been the case in the past that manually unpacking an upgrade and then overwriting files (modifications be damned) the way it was done. Nobody should be surprised when the Package Manager does what it's been doing as usual...least of all support people.

IchBin™

Clara,

Part of the problem is that the suggestion that fixed it for you is one of 20 suggestions that could have been said. And even then, I've seen many hosts still not work after such suggestions. Depending on server configuration many things could be the problem for this. I'm glad you found what worked for you, and it's always useful when someone types what fixed it for them so thank you.

-IchBin
IchBin™        TinyPortal

kat

Quote from: Clara Listensprechen on October 10, 2011, 03:43:50 PM
By golly, what I needed to know  is in this one single line:

QuoteIn some cases, the upload to Packages may be corrupted, when you attempt this. In this case, you can upload the file (Still archived) to your Packages directory, using your FTP client. Then, go to Package Manager, to apply it.

That's part of what I just added, there. :)

Ashley S

Jim_Di

in Display.php line 1380 and 1381

if ($context['browser']['is_firefox'])
header('Content-Disposition: ' . $disposition . '; filename*="UTF-8\'\'' . preg_replace('~&#(\d{3,8});~e', '$fixchar(\'$1\')', $utf8name) . '"');

strange «*» at the left side of «=» is a reason for FF 8 glitches - when u try download attachment name of file index.php insted of normal attach name.

we're change line 1381 to

header('Content-Disposition: ' . $disposition . '; filename="' . preg_replace('~&#(\d{3,8});~e', '$fixchar(\'$1\')', $utf8name) . '"');

and it's work normally
strange Russian programmer
jabber: [email protected]

Angelina Belle

Hello Jim_Di,

Thanks for the bug report.
I think this is the issue tracked as http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=4825

If you find any more bugs, please post them to the bug reports board (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=137.0)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Illori

Advertisement: