News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[3.0] Notify user when name is mentioned

Started by Dzonny, September 27, 2011, 05:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masterd

Quote from: Dzonny on September 27, 2011, 05:56:40 PM
The development team is considering adding "Notify user when name is mentioned" in future versions.
We consider putting usernames in a special bbc code, so users can be notified  via email or pm that they are being talked to.

What do you all think?

This a good idea. But I don't think it's essential for this software.

Matthew K.

If something like this is implemented, it shouldn't be a BBC tag, it should be either an AJAX Dropdown, like Facebook. No one, is going to intentionally add notify tags to every username, but in the cases of someone wanting to know where people are saying their name? It could be nice.

Make a profile setting for this, "Notify me when I am tagged in a post". That way people that find this annoying, can disable it, and those who would appreciate it can have it.

I also agree that there should be some sort of "Notifications" panel, rather than an email or a PM.

Masterd

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on October 19, 2011, 01:19:02 PM
If something like this is implemented, it shouldn't be a BBC tag, it should be either an AJAX Dropdown, like Facebook. No one, is going to intentionally add notify tags to every username, but in the cases of someone wanting to know where people are saying their name? It could be nice.

I agree. Using BBC for this is too...

* Masterd is still thinking about the right word.

Dzonny

Thanks for suggestion Labradoodle, it sounds great to me. :)

TheListener

Account Abandoned

Quote from: Dzonny on September 27, 2011, 05:56:40 PM
The development team is considering adding "Notify user when name is mentioned" in future versions.
We consider putting usernames in a special bbc code, so users can be notified  via email or pm that they are being talked to.

What do you all think?

Similar to my idea for member tagging :) I think it would be a great feature. Lets say for something like my admin forum, a user is looking for a graphic designer, instead of asking them to contact blahblah, I could tag or bbcode the member's name in there to go check it out. Maybe make this an optional feature so that those that don't need it don't have to use it :) Good idea!

Norv

I would invite anyone interested to help with your proposals for the proper behavior of this feature, that you may have - whether as a mod or core it doesn't matter at this time. We can start with a mod anyway and see if it will prove more useful to people than it seems or on the contrary. I know I would be interested in making one once I have the time.

I think being able to "turn off" is a given already, from what I read here and in the other topic on this. Both globally and per user. Being available for buddy list... I'm afraid that asks for the next question, are buddy list useful, anyway, as implemented in 2.0? Would such option make them more useful, allowing notifications of being "tagged" from buddies?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

^SITS^

We don't use the buddy lists on our forum.  Being a smaller forum, we just have never seen the need for them.

I think it is a great idea.

Matthew K.

The buddy system is pretty useless in my opinion in it's current state.

^SITS^

I just don't get the whole buddy list thing.  I know who my friends are on the forum and I know those who are not my friends.  We would get more use out of "s*** list" function.   :P

As far as the name mentioned in thread function, I would be in favor of getting a pm sent to the member in question.  I get messages automatically sent to my email when a pm is sent to me, so adding that as a function would seem redundant to me.

KensonPlays

Quote from: Xarcell on October 05, 2011, 01:04:22 PM
Being able to tag a user is something that is sorely needed. It helps keep people engaged in the community, but it is rougher for Admins, Moderators, and Mod Developers.

This can easily be controlled by allowing an option for the user to ingore tags within a topic. For example, a mod developer might want to select ingore being tagged in his/her own mod support topic. In other cases, the ingore option can be used when it is abused within a topic.

Also, you should only be allowed to tag user's that are participating within that particular topic. Otherwise, people will tag users to drag them into a topic conversation they do not care for.
That's what I think.

Norv

Also, you should only be allowed to tag user's that are participating within that particular topic. Otherwise, people will tag users to drag them into a topic conversation they do not care for.

I actually find this less useful then - even redundant in SMF. If you want to attract attention to someone to a topic, it's exactly because they're not participating in it. Otherwise, SMF has its awesome unread replies feature which will do exactly that: keep those who are already participating in a topic, informed about the new activity in the topic.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

HecKel

Quote from: Norv on November 13, 2011, 09:31:27 AM

I actually find this less useful then - even redundant in SMF. If you want to attract attention to someone to a topic, it's exactly because they're not participating in it. Otherwise, SMF has its awesome unread replies feature which will do exactly that: keep those who are already participating in a topic, informed about the new activity in the topic.

The problem with that "awesome" feature is that we can't unsubscribe the topic anymore. If I participate in a long thread and after some point I am no longer interested in that topic, I still have that topic on my "unread replies" feature. That could be improved, something instead of unread replies like unread subscribed topics, and making a replied topic automatically a subscribed one that one could remove that subscription later.
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

Norv

I agree. That's the subject of another feature request, but anyway you're right: turning the default behavior into a more subscription-like feature makes much more helpful, with only the option to unsubscribe even.

KensonPlays

Quote from: HecKel on November 13, 2011, 01:19:34 PM
The problem with that "awesome" feature is that we can't unsubscribe the topic anymore. If I participate in a long thread and after some point I am no longer interested in that topic, I still have that topic on my "unread replies" feature. That could be improved, something instead of unread replies like unread subscribed topics, and making a replied topic automatically a subscribed one that one could remove that subscription later.
Yes, this would be better IMO.

Angelina Belle

"unread replies" replaced by "watched topics". You can subscribe yourself. You subscribe (by default) when you reply. You can unsubscribe at any time. You can subscribe someone to a topic by tagging them. 

Users can have the options to only allow their buddies to tag them in a topic.

In addition to "show watched (or subscribed) topics" (similar to the current "new replies to your posts"), we could have a new view -- "Where have I been tagged".

Even "Where has (user) been tagged".

These kind of views could start to look very different from how a forum is now organized. People might start to care less about boards and categories.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Gryzor

I found this thread through googling for "smf mod mention notification" so, naturally, I think it's a good idea.

I'd go for both a panel and email notification, since email will be more effective in driving participation.

Instead of bbcodes, would it be possible to tag someone a la Facebook with the '@' symbol?

Angelina Belle

I would imagine it would be nice to give you a "tag" button so you could choose an actual member from the list.
But I am not a dev.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Tony Reid

I like the way google+ works - it detects when you pres the + key and then starts a autosuggest lookup.
Tony Reid

Advertisement: