[3.0] Notify user when name is mentioned

Started by Dzonny, September 27, 2011, 05:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Oh, this is indeed great (fB does that too with '@') but I would think it's a serious piece of coding...

kwolf

I like the idea.  I also like the thought having the member name in BB code so you can maybe click their name and go to their profile from the post text.

Pyrhel

Will be great if there's a mention function as standard. Now I'm searching for such mod, but can't find anything... :(

Akyhne

What a useless idea, this!

If I want to point someone to somewhere, I'd PM them if I REALLY thought it was nessescary.

Matthew K.

Akyhne, come on. There's no need to bash peoples opinions quite that brutally.

Akyhne

I'm not bashing anyones opinion. I'm just saying this is a pointless mod to develop as an official mod, in my opinion.

I don't mind people liking the idea, in contrary. What works for them, works for them.

But I think there are lots of other issues or ideas that are far more important to take care of in the SMF software.

Antes

Akyhne, none said that this feature request or mod request accepted officially. You are simply thinking one way, maybe SMF team will not convert this idea into modification or feature but maybe someone likes the idea and start working on it.

Gryzor

I don't understand how an idea that someone finds useful is dismissed as "useless" in such a way by someone else. Or, how asking for something means that we think it's the most important thing ever.

It'd be very nice to have such a functionality built-in, but no reason to become agitated about it...

Pyrhel

I'll give an example why I need it. I'm the chairman and admin of a national automotive club where we have a topic named "I saw you" (something like that, it's not in English). So, the idea of the topic is that if someone sees you or any of your cars to write there something like "Yesterday I saw Pyrhel's '85 on xxx street racing an M-power. Who won? :P" And because some of the people stay more time under their cars instead online, they can't reply :)

BTW, I found a cheap mod: http://www.monotiz.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0 but it doesn't work :D

Gryzor

Pyrhel, nice find that mod, but it's subscription-based? Says it has a "duration" of one year... ugh.

Kindred

And while you might find this useful for your specific forum, I think that most would not... which makes this definite mod material. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gryzor

Although I don't think the vast majority of admins/users would find it useful, the argument as you put it is a no-go: I bet there are dozens of features most people don't use ;) This doesn't mean they shouldn't be there.

But yes, I agree with you.

Akyhne

Quote from: Antes on November 18, 2012, 03:31:19 AM
Akyhne, none said that this feature request or mod request accepted officially. You are simply thinking one way, maybe SMF team will not convert this idea into modification or feature but maybe someone likes the idea and start working on it.

Quote from: Dzonny on September 27, 2011, 05:56:40 PM
The development team is considering adding "Notify user when name is mentioned" in future versions.

Quote from: Gryzor on November 18, 2012, 03:42:31 AM
I don't understand how an idea that someone finds useful is dismissed as "useless" in such a way by someone else. Or, how asking for something means that we think it's the most important thing ever.
WHAT?! I can not have the opinion the feature is useless?

Gryzor

Quote from: Akyhne on November 18, 2012, 08:45:28 AM

WHAT?! I can not have the opinion the feature is useless?

Ohhh dear. Listen, when you express your opining in a "What a useless idea, this!" way, you do understand you're heading into a flame, right? Basic social skills, is all.

Akyhne

No, you don't get it and it's my fault. I could just have clarified what I ment by useless.

"I don't like it" = I don't like it.
"I wouldn't use it" = I wouldn't use it, I wouldn't activate or install such a feature. I see no point.
"What a useless idea" = I don't like the idea, I hate it. I would never install or activate it. I wouldn't even sign up in a forum where such a feature existed. I don't use FB, Twitter or any social sites (except G+ a bit). I would *never* bother my members with such a feature. I would install social media login and likes, share etc., if they asked me to, but not this feature! Never! The team should use their energy on something else, that this feature.

That's my opinion and I'm entitled to have it!

Gryzor

Of course you're entitled to your idea, but be careful how you express it.

Also, I don't see what this has to do with social media etc. Just because a similar functionality exists in SocM it doesn't mean the forum mod would have anything to do with it. It's like saying "social media have pictures, BAN ALL THE PICS! NEVER!".

Nor does it have anything to do with "bothering" members, if it's an opt-in option.

Akyhne

Quote from: Gryzor on November 18, 2012, 10:37:38 AM
Of course you're entitled to your idea, but be careful how you express it.
Well, I learned to talk like this, when I was on the team.

Quote from: Gryzor on November 18, 2012, 10:37:38 AM
Also, I don't see what this has to do with social media etc.
It has everything to do with social media. One of the big differences between forums and social media sites, is that in a forum you choose where and what you want to participate in.

Quote from: Gryzor on November 18, 2012, 10:37:38 AMNor does it have anything to do with "bothering" members, if it's an opt-in option.
If I can be "tagged" or bothered this way, without me wanting to, then I'd never see it implemented. If people can choose not to be tagged with this feature, then the feature is pointless. People can just PM the person then.

Let's say this feature was implemented. Someone can write a tag or something else, like @Akyhne, then I'm notified automatically by PM: "User xx has tagged you to the topic 454019".
I then visit the topic or post and then what? What if I can't see or understand why someone brought me there or if I don't want to participate in the debate? Do *I* then have to create a PM to the guy, saying "NOMB" or "Why did you want me to read that?"?

That's pointless! If someone wants to drag my attention to a post or a topic, I expect them to PM me, explaining why and what it is about and why I should be bothered.
A PM button next to each post, where people can quickly PM me about the topic, fine with me. But an auto message is pointless.

Gryzor

*sigh*... again, an opt-in feature.

And, again, social media have pictures. PMs, too, come to think of it. Should we ban them in SMF? Not to mention that a forum IS a social medium, you know. I've been around since the days of FIDOnet, and I used to chuckle whenever the term "social media" was thrown around referring to Facebook or MySpace (RIP).

I think you're making a lot of fuss about a very little thing...

Akyhne

Quote from: Gryzor on November 18, 2012, 11:52:07 AM
*sigh*... again, an opt-in feature.
... which makes it pointless, then.

Forum:
1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
3. a public meeting place for open discussion

So a forum is not nessescarily about being social, it's about being able to discuss in a public or closed group of people.

FB is nothing about anything else, than being social.

Forums have been around for 1000's of years. Their purpose hasn't changed with the internet. They still work the same way, the definition is still the same.
From Wikipedia:
QuoteA bulletin board (pinboard, pin board, noticeboard, or notice board in British English) is a surface intended for the posting of public messages, for example, to advertise items wanted or for sale, announce events, or provide information

QuoteInternet forums are becoming a global replacement for traditional bulletin boards. Online bulletin boards are sometimes referred to as message boards. The terms bulletin board, message board and even Internet forum are interchangeable, although often one bulletin board or message board can contain a number of Internet forums or discussion groups. An online board can serve the same purpose as a physical bulletin board.

So forums are not about being social, but it doesn't hurt to be ;)

Gryzor

A forum not social?

Opt-in = useless?

By gawd, I don't know where you're coming from, but that's enough discussion for me :D Why don't you go troll somewhere else? You've made your opinion crystal clear, please let us discuss about the feature *we* want.

Advertisement: