[3.0] Notify user when name is mentioned

Started by Dzonny, September 27, 2011, 05:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

emanuele

Technically this board is/was for features intended for future versions of SMF, and since that topic is "tagged" 3.0 the idea was to have it as feature in 3.0.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Mstcool

But now you guys are gonna make it as a mod...? :)

emanuele

Anyone can make it as a mod, you should not wait for us! ;)

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Mstcool

emanuele

Why not? :P
It may be a good way to learn a bit a lot of php and javascript! ;D

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Mstcool

FireDitto

I think this would be a great addition and I'd love to see it!

Its used on a different style forum where the members can write @user and it sends them a notification that they've been 'summoned' to a thread, which is how most people use it. I think it is very handy and very useful and I'd love to be able to use it on SMF.
Second Pass Weyr<br />An AU Pernse RPG<br /><br />SMF 2.0.6 with SP 2.3.5

Skaty

gunnymcduck

I would love to have this feature and would absolutely install it on my forums.

QQless

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic. "

This implement is way over due. I have been searching for this type of notify for a long time. please make the effort to add this thank you.

Arantor

It isn't going to happen before 3.0, sorry.

QQless

Is there any Mod's you know of that does such a thing?

Arantor

QQless

Dam that's a shame. Are community is getting big and this option would be great. We had initially used Vb. where they have the notify option it was really nice. May I ask why you guys have not implemented this?

hxxp:clanxa.com/smf/index.php [nonactive]

Arantor

Because there's no notifications system for it. Unless you want every notification to be an email (which has all kinds of consequences on its own), you don't have any choice.

2.1 is in development, it will NOT have this mostly because there is still no notification system at this time for reasons I really don't want to get into, so the problem remains.

Please do not try to convince me to add it to 2.1 because it isn't going to happen unless people want 2.1 delayed yet another year while an alerts-like system (like XenForo has) gets implemented, tested etc. and I'm pretty sure people would rather not have to wait another year, especially for a feature that has non trivial performance concerns to be taken on board.

QQless

With the most utter respect. Can are community offer you funding to create us a Mod?

Arantor

Um, no? Because as I said you need so much more than *just* the mention bit, you need an entire notification system around it and SMF just doesn't have one.

Such a mod would be very expensive and require much work to get right, at least custom built for your forum.

I did a search and found http://www.smfpacks.com/alertmod which may or may not suit you (and there have been concerns over the mod developer's support policies)

QQless

I understand thank you for the replys and info you have provided.

P.S I looked at the pack you researched. I'm looking for a simple notifier where you can mark a member "QQless" [QQless] etc..

Advertisement: