News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

"Click here to try all unread topics." returns empty list

Started by ckruppa, September 28, 2011, 10:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckruppa

I am new to the forum, and I have combed the other posts for hours looking for a solution to my problem. I have seen a couple references to it, but never a solution. I have tried everything I can think of or find. Here is the problem:

"Click here to try all unread topics." returns an empty list no matter what. Even though many posts throughout the messageboards have the "New" icon because I have not read them, "All unread topics" always shows "No messages..." It has been this way since I installed SMF 3 months ago. It is the same for at least one other user. It is the same no matter the browser. I have cleared cookies. I have run repair_settings.php. I have optimized tables and performed other maintainance. I get no errors. I use no mods, and I use the Default theme (SMF 1.1.15).

For clarity, "Show unread posts since last visit." correctly returns new posts since my last visit. If that list is empty, I see the option
  "No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics."
When I try all unread topics, it always returns "No messages..." Even though there are several new messages. I've tried to fix it, and I've tried to just live with it but others are now complaining to me. Please tell me there is a solution!

Norv

Hello ckruppa,

And thank you for the report. There are indeed cases (not many afaik, but enough to suspect a buggy behavior) when we do have misbehavior reported on unread topics, but unfortunately, simply we can't replicate the issue. I never managed to have it happen, on any forum or test forum, no matter what I do, it behaves as expected, and yet it seems to happen for a number of users on certain forums.
ANY information you could further give us may be useful.
Including, to be sure, MySQL version and variables, and PHP info, and if you have webserver logs available and PHP logging enabled, maybe you can consider making them available to us as well, just to see if by any chance they may have an error to give us a clue as to what happens on your forum.

Would you please give us a link to your forum, too? Eventually a demo account we could use?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

ckruppa

Forum url is hxxp:valadoc.net/forum [nonactive]. I am happy to approve a demo account for you when you register.

As for the other data you requested, here is what I can easily gather:

• MySQL 5.0 (5.0.91 -log)
  • PHP 5.2
  • MySQL variables - there are a lot! Should I post in message or attach or PM?
  • I have activated php error logging. How do you want access to those files?
  • I get no SQL errors (by email) from the database, and I don't know how else to view them.

Let me know what else I can do. I am pretty new to all of this, so feel free to explain things nice and slow to me. Even the obvious stuff! Thanks so much for looking into this. Our company really likes the forum, and we don't want to abandon it.

ckruppa

Upgrading to SMF 2.0.1 seems to have fixed the problem. I'm sorry if you guys wanted to track down the bug because it's gone now. I am not sorry to see it go! Thanks for looking into it.

emanuele

Glad it now works for you! :D

If the problem will be reported again we will try to find the cause.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

MBry0

I have the same problem. It happens on every theme, just to exclude theme issues.

I converted my old phpbb3 board to smf 3 weeks ago. I have smf 2.0.1, tiny portal 1.1.04, and aeva media 1.4w.
Everything is updated only on the index page. If i go to the forum i always get some unread message, even if they're read.

I can provide a test user if needed.

www.gamesandgamers.org

emanuele

That would help!

Feel free to PM me username and password.

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

emanuele

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

MBry0

Everything you need! (no money and no sex... :) )

ehm... how can i attach the file?

emanuele

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

MBry0

Yeah, I know. But I think that I've no rights to attach anything.
This is what I get

Anyway, download it from hxxp:www.mediafire.com/?14spicl6uzbvqz7 [nonactive]

MBry0

Here comes a video.
As you can see, I have no new message on the portal index, but if I enter the forum there are few marked unread. I click on the unread board but inside there are no unread messages.
If I click on the "new" icon (that brings me on the show unread page) i get a "no unread message".

Is it a Tiny Portal issue?

hxxp:www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJjmtXGzK2I [nonactive]

IchBin™

Not a TP bug. I see that happen on quite a few SMF forums, including here on this site. It has something to do with SMF not marking the post read in a child board (most of the time). Not sure what the cause is, but it's definitely a bug IMO.

How come this topic is in fixed or bogus bugs? Moving back to bugs, as I don't know if this is even tracked yet.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

vkdawg

I have this same issue.

Forum: hxxp:www.goodcompanygaming.com/forum [nonactive]

The "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts" work fine, but when I have not unread posts since my last visit, I get the option: "No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics."

When I click on that, it always returns: "No messages..."

I have no "child boards". 

When I go to the main index, there are a lot of threads that show the "New posts" icon, and indeed, there a lot of topics in there with the "New" label.

Would be nice to have those all come up when I do "try all unread topics".

Thanks....

rootuid

I have the same issue.I'm using 1.1.15 and it happens more often than not. I would be happy to provide a test account if emanuele has the time to investigate.

I'm loathe to upgrade if that will resolve the issue as I'd prefer to avoid any associated upgrade pains.

thank.

Joshua Dickerson

Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

fullmoonya

i have the same issue using smf2.0.2..please help..
do not mark my topic solve unless it is REALLY SOLVED.
my forum

Visit My Blog:
Google SEO Share

emanuele

Just to be sure: I feel here there is the classic misinterpretation of the SMF way to handle "new" boards.
If you open a topic from any link (email notification, unread replies, the web, a portal, a pm, etc.) except the last message in board index (or message index for child boards) the "board" itself remains in the state "unread" and the icon "new" is displayed next to the title. The only two ways to mark a board as "read" is to actually enter the board or click on the last post message.

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: