Moving an existing forum

Started by WFair, October 31, 2011, 04:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WFair

I currently have a forum with another host. (phpBB2)
Can this forum be moved in it's entirety to SMF ?
The server in the current forum  down and has been for 3 weeks so I don't think it could be moved until that server come back up.
If it is moved to SMF will existing members be able to find it as I think the URL will change.

http://homeattherange.16.forumer.com/index.php

青山 素子

Unless you have access to a database backup from your forum, you won't be able to convert. As it looks like you're using a hosted service, you'll have to check with the hosting provider and see if they offer a database backup.

If you can get a backup, you can convert to SMF fairly easily.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

mjwiech

I have the same problem: moving a PhpBB forum from one server to Simple Machines forum on another server.

I am able to create forum database backup in a text format (a series of SQL statements).

As I am new to SMF I would greatly appreciate a step by step description what to do.

Thanks and regards
mjwiech

青山 素子

Conversions - How do I convert from my current software to SMF

Converting to SMF

About 10 seconds of searching the documentation resulted in that. I suggest searching before asking in the future. It'll often be much faster than waiting on someone else to do it for you.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

mjwiech

Perhaps I am stupid, but the links given by you do not give me any hints (BTW I knew them well).
I would like to remind that I want to move PhpBB forum contents to ANOTHER SERVER.
In other words: the two forums, the old PppBB and then new SMF, are not on the same server.

Thanks anyway.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: mjwiech on November 16, 2011, 08:02:17 AM
Perhaps I am stupid, but the links given by you do not give me any hints (BTW I knew them well).
I would like to remind that I want to move PhpBB forum contents to ANOTHER SERVER.
In other words: the two forums, the old PppBB and then new SMF, are not on the same server.

Thanks anyway.

You cannot convert across servers. Either you need to install SMF on the old server, convert the forum there, then move the data over to the new server, or you need to move the phpBB forum to the new server and convert to SMF there.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

青山 素子

AFAIK, there is no easy way to convert across servers (there is a way, but it's a bit beyond the skill level of most people and requires high-level access to both servers and networks).

There are two steps needed: conversion and switching servers. You can do those two steps in any order. For example, you can move the old forum to the new server, then convert. You could also convert, then move the new forum across.

SMF and the converters can't read raw SQL, so at a minimum, you'll need to restore the database and set up the connection file that the converter looks for (so it can access the database of the other forum). All other files are incidental. However, it's usually easier if you're not sure how things work, to have a fully working source forum.
Motoko-chan

Advertisement: