News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Direct image upload

Started by bharatforum, October 12, 2011, 04:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bharatforum

I would like to ask you if there is a way to upload images directly to the forum without using any other sites and also without using Attach link below. Is there any other better way to do so?

Branko.

...but the images must be stored somewhere.You can do:
-add image as attachment (previously stored on your computer) with or without thumbnail
-add external link (to other site)
-add image with bbc code [img][/img]..as previously
Strong people don't put others down, they lift them up.
A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

kat

Be aware that storing files on your site will take-up quite a bit of room, on the server.

Graphics files and video files, especially, can be pretty big.

bharatforum

Maybe I didn't explain it correctly, now I have to upload images on some other site and then give URL so the picture. I see on many forums that you can upload images directly without logging on on the third site. Does this mode will help with it and how safe is it: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1669
Maybe there are some other mods, I am using SMF 2.0.1

kat

To me, it looks like it'll do exactly what you want!

Is it safe?

Looking at it, I'd say it was about as safe as it could be made to be.

bharatforum

Are there more mods like this which are compatible with SMF 2.0.1?

bharatforum

I tried this mod and it doesn't seem to show the pictures correctly. Is there a way to add a button "upload file or video" and then just choose pictures from the computer.

Illori

attachments would work for that

kat

Quote from: bharatforum on October 12, 2011, 04:13:44 PMwithout using any other sites and also without using Attach link below.

:P

Out of curiosity, bharat, why don't you want to use attachments?

I have to say, if you don't want to use that OR external sites, where DO you want them?

I'm finding that a bit puzzling, to be honest.

Goldengirl71

Quote from: K@ on October 13, 2011, 09:30:44 AM
Quote from: bharatforum on October 12, 2011, 04:13:44 PMwithout using any other sites and also without using Attach link below.

:P

Out of curiosity, bharat, why don't you want to use attachments?

I have to say, if you don't want to use that OR external sites, where DO you want them?

I'm finding that a bit puzzling, to be honest.

Hi K, I want to get in on this one because for my site, it has to be simple, simple as I can get it, and to be able to add a "direct upload" from a persons pc/laptop is something my folks would scream bloody murder if they can't, LOL!!  I'm attaching a snip to show you what I see when I hit a tiny icon that says "insert image" when you hover over it, and when it opens, you can see it gives you the upload from computer option, or URL insertion.

For my site, it's strictly easier.  Many folks are not that computer literate about "storing" photos online in order to acquire a URL.  Thanks, and hope you can point me and the OP in the right direction;) Denise

Antechinus

That's exactly what the attachments system does already.

kat

Indeed. The only difference, in essence, is that you have to go through the palaver of clicking "Attachments and other options", which I've always thought a bit of a protracted way of doing it, myself. I'd think it'd make more sense for that to be expanded, by default, myself. I suspect that it wouldn't take much, by way of code edits, to achieve that. ('course, I could be WAAAAY wrong, with that. Might attempt it, later, just to see if I can figure that out, with my totally inadequate coding "skills"). ;)

Illori

Quote from: K@ on September 22, 2014, 06:54:14 AM
I'd think it'd make more sense for that to be expanded, by default, myself.

admin -> current theme Enable collapsible additional post options: uncheck that option

kat

Good finkin'! :) Odd that that option's not global, though.

Illori

Quote from: K@ on September 22, 2014, 07:03:05 AM
Good finkin'! :) Odd that that option's not global, though.

it is in 2.1 along with many others.

Goldengirl71

Quote from: K@ on September 22, 2014, 06:54:14 AM
Indeed. The only difference, in essence, is that you have to go through the palaver of clicking "Attachments and other options", which I've always thought a bit of a protracted way of doing it, myself. I'd think it'd make more sense for that to be expanded, by default, myself. I suspect that it wouldn't take much, by way of code edits, to achieve that. ('course, I could be WAAAAY wrong, with that. Might attempt it, later, just to see if I can figure that out, with my totally inadequate coding "skills"). ;)

I prefer this way, it has more of a "fun" effect on the folks that open the "usually" funny, photos on a senior forum site.  I think for other types of forums, the attachment (thumbnail) is appropriate.  And again, they don't have to click anything, it's there and ready to view;)  Here's an example like on a "humor" thread, and this is how it appears as soon as the you click the topic;)

kat

So, basically, you want any pic that's... er... attached, to appear as though it was in IMG tags...

The only way that I can think of, to achieve something like that (ish), is to increase the size of the thumbnails, so that the width is something approaching the width of the page. But, of course, different people, using different screen resolutions, will find that better, or worse. I think I'd be right in saying that your forum would suffer quite a big performance hit, though.

Antechinus

You can do it by simply not setting the thumbnail size in admin, and using CSS to control the displayed size so it doesn't break the page.

.attachments img {width: auto; height: auto; max-width: 90%; max-height: auto;}

That should be bulletproof, even for slightly dopey browsers. Could probably be pruned down a bit.

kat

Out of curiosity, would it matter where, in the css, that you put that, Ant?

Advertisement: