Direct image upload

Started by bharatforum, October 12, 2011, 04:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron G4GWC

Its surprising how much time forum members will spend asking questions of support members. Who has ever received a straight (none put of) answer on this forum,  and why are they there! blustering and avoiding helping, is it just people trying to look much better than they really are, or is it all a fraud!
This is a serious question I really do not understand

kat

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying, Ron. So, I'm not ignoring you, or anything. Just don't know how to respond, to be honest.

Kindred

It would seem to me that the OP's question was addressed (even if it's not the way he wanted) as was the additional question...

And Ron's similar question was also addressed, several weeks ago...  apparently just not with the "exact" answer that he wanted.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Ah... Well, we all do our best. Can't ask for more than that, ay? :)

Ron G4GWC

This Topic has been going For years, Users need a way to upload images to go with posts, any easy method than even new visitors to a forum can use!
Responders spend time trying to not understand the issue, if its not SMF policy to deal with this issue directly Why not say so!
If feels like we are dealing with children pretending to be adults.
Direct Image Upload  would be a valuable facility! I have asked the same question and had  the same run-around!!
I don't want to do it again, its a pity I have invested  so much time in SMF it hurts and offends!!

Kindred

and I will say to you again...

DIRECT IMAGE UPLOAD EXISTS.... it is called "attachments"   and with the "inline attachments" mod, you can even make it seamless to the post.

We keep telling you this... and you keep insisting that it doesn't exist and we're giving you the run-around.   We are not giving you the run around. There is no "policy" on not dealing with this.   IT ALREADY EXISTS.

I am sorry that you are hurt or offended, but you seem to be refusing to read what we have written.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

I got ninjad, but decided to post, anyway...

We ask questions, to ensure that we fully understand the question, Ron. At least, I do.

If clicking something to add an attachment seems no different to clicking a button saying "Upload image", to me, I have to ask things, to try to clarify things, in my own feeble mind.

As I'm pushing sixty, now, being told that I'm like a child is kinda groovy... :)

Either way, a link was given to a mod that does exactly what was asked for. Is that a "Fail", then?

Ron G4GWC

If so why do we or our  forum users still have a problem, Because its not a workable method for most if not all.
The insert image Should do the job with an option for a url if a local path method is not required.

Arantor

No, it really shouldn't because you would then have one button trying to do two jobs.

There are two problems with the position you are proposing.

Firstly, technical. Forcing all images to be stored on your server will consume a non-trivial amount of space. Another forum I am a member of has just had to start paying double per month because of the number of images they have, because of that forum software pulling stunts like this.

Secondly, legal. Uploading images is questionable in terms of legality unless you own the image's copyright. Most people simply do not.

Ron G4GWC

Great
Nice to get a clearer response: you know what we want but its not SMF policy to provide it,
if your worried about server costs do not use it on your Forum.
You could have saved us all many  hours.
Just be more clear from the onset.

regards

Arantor

Stop taking what is said out of context to promote your own interpretation of the facts.

I personally especially find that insulting.

radu81

I did the mistake and gaved my users the possibility to upload directly from my forum to imageshack. There is/was a mod for that. After a few years I have some very interesting posts with missing photos. My opinion is do not upload your photos to external services like imageshack but use the attachments system. It's not not perfect but does the job

here is an example of what I did with attachments sharkracingclub.it/index.php?topic=2272.0

I use some mods to improve the builtin attachments:
Resize Attached Images
SMF-ILA
SMF-HS4SMF
sorry for my bad english

Kindred

Ron,

As Arantor said, you have taken his response out of context.

and as I have said: Your current SMF installation ALREADY HAS the ability to load images from the user's computer.
If you want to change the "add attachment" text to read "upload image" in order to make it crystal clear for you users - then go ahead.

You want an official policy?
I am the project manager of the Simple Machines Forum Project.
We already provide the functionality that you are asking for. I am sorry if it is not "exactly" what you desire... but it is already there.

If you STILL can't understand that... let me spell it out in 3 simple steps
make the attachments section always expanded... (setting)
change the text from attachments to "upload image" (post.template.php)
add the inline attachments mod.
TADA! Done

If you want to get creative, you can play around with your theme a bit to change the location of the attachments dialogue box.

Слaва
Украинi

Antechinus

Probably not. Most people would just add it at the end, for convenience.

a10

SMF's image\attachment posting works fine, 99,5% of members on my forum has zero problem. Many members here are seniors, and in no way pc experts. Many are uploading pictures within minutes of using the forum 1st time.

The 0,5% asking for help (one time, then they get it) is about things like where they have stored the photo on their own pc, how to resize a picture to within the max file size set on my forum.

Members using external picture hosting are inserting links without problems or questions (but with external hosting the 'missing pictures syndrome' happens now and then, so am asking members to only post pictures as forum attachment, no problems with server space, quite inexpensive these days).

& easy management\backup etc of attachments using ftp + smf admin.

Basically, don't change anything, it's great :O) (the inline option is interesting, available with a mod).
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

ARG01

What I don't understand here is, why does it seem so difficult for some to simply use the "Attachment" feature?

I mean it allows any user permitted, to upload any image they desire, which in turn shows a thumb of the image. Size of the thumb is determined by the site Admin for reasons of keeping the posting areas neat and clean. All users permitted are then allowed to click on said thumb to view the full size image.

The "Attachment" feature is really not that hard to use and less confusing to newb admins as opposed to messing with custom mods that may or may not alter files or require manual edits. Imo, the "Attachment" feature is genius.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Antechinus

I think it's primarily a matter of presentation. For a start, I know some people simply don't understand that there are expandable options beneath the post box.

ARG01

Quote from: Antechinus on September 23, 2014, 04:04:58 PM
I think it's primarily a matter of presentation. For a start, I know some people simply don't understand that there are expandable options beneath the post box.

Well I am sure that if that becomes an actual issue, it cant be that difficult to either make it always viewable by removing the expandable option (which many may not desire to do) or simply adding more of an explanation of what options exist there.

Example:

Attachments and other options....more info here, bla, bla, bla.

Example:

Attachments and other options.
More info here, bla, bla, bla.   
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Antechinus

Yeah I know. It's easy to do, just isn't done in default format.

ARG01

Most of my design jobs are for newbs or semi-newbs and they often inquire about how Attachments work. I think I will be adding more of an explanation for the Attachments feature in my themes from here on. Just seems logical.  ;D

Advertisement: