Email to post?

Started by raddad, October 22, 2011, 12:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raddad

I seem to remember there was the ability to post on forum via email and read the forums via email (on a SMF board I belonged to a long time ago) Is this possible and if so how do I config SMF for this ability?

Thanks

PS
having to fight capture to post is a real pain.

Oldiesmann

There was a mod for this at one point, but it hasn't been updated in years and its author is no longer active here. It's at http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=168 if you want to take a look at it. I'm not sure how hard it would be to upgrade it though as I've never used it.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

raddad

Quote from: Oldiesmann on October 22, 2011, 12:27:49 PM
There was a mod for this at one point, but it hasn't been updated in years and its author is no longer active here. It's at http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=168 if you want to take a look at it. I'm not sure how hard it would be to upgrade it though as I've never used it.

Wow, that's too bad; this is maybe the one mod that would put SMF on equal footing with groups like yahoo.  I hope it still works.

Man those captchas are annoying...

Andre N

Hey,

Post back if you can't get it to work. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to modify...
"Every generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?"

apieandpint

Hi Andre,

Thought I'd post back to you regarding this mod

Post from email

I've tried it in SMF 2.0.1 and it doesn't work. Would you be able to have a look at the mod?

Cheers,

Noel.

Andre N

Sure. I'll see if I can get it to work with 2.x and post any results
"Every generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?"

ledaladdin.com

this is maybe the one mod that would put SMF on equal footing with groups like yahoo

Andre N

I have been messing with it and I think it can work. The installer script doesn't modify much and I made some changes to it because the stuff it did change was ever so slightly different than in 1.x
The script that does the work, looks like it will work too, as long as all the db queries are changed to be the new 2.x style of query, which I changed as well. I need to try it out and see, and if it works, hopefully the author will let us post it here.

update:
The new modified package installed flawlessly, meaning package-info.xml and emailpost_v1.03.mod are likely good. I'm confident about the .mod file because the changes needed were so slight.
The db table was created successfully meaning emailpostPdb.php is correct. The only thing remaining to check is the functionality of the mod itself which is covered by the emailpost.php file. I made a lot of changes to that, I think all db related, so fingers crossed. I'll test it ASAP

Andre N

Just an update real quick. I'm testing this on SMF 2.0
It installs flawlessly. It works fine sending the notification. The admin config works fine. For some reason I'm having trouble forwarding the email account to the script, because when I reply to the notification, the script isn't even executed. I get a bounce back email from my host saying that the message might be spam. I don't know how to overcome this; maybe it's my host, or a configuration issue.
I'm going to go over the emailpost.php script, which is the only portion I am not 100% sure about, with a fine tooth comb and then zip it and if someone wants to test it pm me your email address?
That way we can test it before I send it to the author... Otherwise I guess I'll send it to the author to test and make available, although I'd hate to bother/burden him since he's no longer active

Yiorgos

I read elsewhere that you may have to create a user account (ie: EmailPoster) via your host control panel and give to that an Email (ie: [email protected]).

[email protected] will be the recipient of all the emails that will be posted in SMF.
That way hosts will accept incoming emails
Then the script should retrieve real posters username

If that does not make any sense please ignore.
Regards

www.sdtv.gr

Abandoned modifications that I corrected to apply on SMF 2.0 Gold
Simple Awards System  To award good members
Limit Posts Per Day  for over-posting members

Andre N

Hi Yiorgos,

I did create a user account for this mod. I set it to forward to the script. In the script I set the path to php correctly. For me, the mod installed fine, and I received notifications for topics, but when I replied to the topic by email, I kept getting bounceback emails, not generated by the script, but from my host. I looks like they were rejected for being suspected as spam, but I might be wrong. I'm also not 100% sure I set the forward up correctly.
I use aspiration as my host.

I sent this to Kindred, he said it crashed his site. I sent it to another user to try out but I haven't heard back from him yet. I'll send it to you if you'd like to try, just pm me your email address :)

Kindred

now that the SOPA protest blackout is passed, I will spend some more time trying to debug it after this weekend - and figure out why it hung the site.

I only have access to one site currently using cpanel, as opposed to a custom admin interface... and that site (the one I am testing one) is on a dedicated server....  but it also has traffic of more than 200 users at any point in time.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

well, it looks like the crashign issue was unrelated to the mod, it just coincientally happened at the same time.

The mod has been running for a bit longer than a week now...  and I have the email -> php pipeline set up...   However, every attempt leads to a mail returned error

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

pipe to |/home/fortyk/home/fortyk/public_html/community/emailpost.php
    generated by [email protected]
    local delivery failed

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <[email protected]>
Received: from server314.com ([216.35.196.77])
by 40KO.40konline.com with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
(Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
id 1RopQs-0002Mu-Dr
for [email protected]; Sat, 21 Jan 2012 23:53:34 -0500
Received: (qmail 32338 invoked by uid 2006); 22 Jan 2012 04:53:34 -0000
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Reply-To: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kindred?=" <[email protected]>
To: =?iso-8859-1?B?NDBrIE9ubGluZQ==?= <[email protected]>
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?B?UmU6IFRvcGljIHJlcGx5OiB0ZXN0aW5nIGEgbmV3IGZlYXR1cmUuLi4=?=
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 23:53:33 -0500
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: WebMail 2.55.13.14
X-Suremail-Sender: 98_216_202_54
X-Originating-Email: [email protected]
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
References:  <[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Test post from email....

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: 40k Online <[email protected]>
>  To: [email protected]
>  Subject: Topic reply: testing a new feature...
>  Sent: 21 Jan '12 22:36

>  A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by Dr_Ruminahui.

>  View the reply at: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=219725.new;topicseen#new

>  Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?
action=notify;topic=219725.0

>  Regards,
>  The 40k Online Team.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Andre N

Yeah, I don't know enough about email to get past this right now. I didn't change anything except the db queries, so I don't know what is wrong to make it be rejected like this.
I'll email the author to see if he can help

DanCarroll

Can I get a copy of the mod to test? It looks intriguing.

Andre N

Quote from: DanCarroll on February 16, 2012, 04:01:32 PM
Can I get a copy of the mod to test? It looks intriguing.
Sure. Pm me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Update: I emailed Grudge about this but haven't had a reply yet.

alanbrit

Hey andre,

whats the status on this? I would absolutely love to see this working on 2.0+ as well.

Thanks for all your work!
alan

Andre N

It installs. It seems to work, but when you reply to an email it gets bounced back for some reason.
I emailed the author, but no response. I don't know how to debug an email issue like this so I'm stuck.
You're welcome to try it out, pm me your email and I'll send it to you. Or you can try asking the author again; I don't want to bug him.

IchBin™

If anyone has access to their email log it would probably be helpful to see what the message was in the log when it rejected the email.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

David111567

Quote from: IchBin™ on March 06, 2012, 12:57:55 PM
If anyone has access to their email log it would probably be helpful to see what the message was in the log when it rejected the email.

Are there any updates on the progress of this mod update?  I'm following this thread with great interest.

Advertisement: