News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

PM's not being shown

Started by Juggler, August 16, 2005, 03:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juggler

Just moved from 1.0.5 to 1.1.3p (by starting with a fresh install and then importing the current DB) and in general everything has come across really well. A few little problems but nothing major and the forum is running very well. However just noticed that the PM's are not showing. I've checked the DB and the information is there exactly where it should be but nobody is being told that they have any existing messages in their inbox.

Thoughts?
The Blue Buzzards
Flying Scooter Display Team
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

1MileCrash

that actually sounds like a theme issue to me. Are you using a 1.0.5 theme on your 1.1b3 forum? Some functions could have been renamed, like the one that displays new messages.
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

Juggler

Same on all themes including SMF Default. (Only have one other installed anyway and it is a proper 1.1.3p theme)
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

dreamcloud

Juggler i have a question. Im not really familiar with mysql and stuff so i need to know: How exactly did you install a new 1.1 beta 3 and use the current database? did you edit the settings.php to use the same database prefix as your old version? Or did you use phpMyAdmin to import a database backup that you made before?

Juggler

I imported a back up taken from the previous 1.0.5 version and then ran the repair_settings.php to sort it all out once I'd imported it into the new DB. Apart from the attachments and PM's everything else has worked fine. (I've even got most of the mods re-installed).

Biggest bit of advice I can give is search the forums carefully as most of the answers are there, it sometimes takes a while to find them though.
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

dreamcloud

Quote from: Juggler on August 16, 2005, 06:12:50 PM
I imported a back up taken from the previous 1.0.5 version and then ran the repair_settings.php to sort it all out once I'd imported it into the new DB. Apart from the attachments and PM's everything else has worked fine. (I've even got most of the mods re-installed).

Biggest bit of advice I can give is search the forums carefully as most of the answers are there, it sometimes takes a while to find them though.

Really? A person who's really familiar said that the table structure is different between the two version and would cause trouble... Also when you saved that backup of 1.0.5 did you check the box taht said "save table structure"?

Juggler

Saved the full structure, and now you mention it there was another file I ran as well. see this thread http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=39692.0

I just downloaded that file and ran that which got everything sorted.
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

dreamcloud

wow, thanks! Ill try it out and see if it fixes the problems on my forum

dreamcloud

lol dang my problems still exist on the 1.1 beta 3 forum :( Ill have to just try a fresh 1.1 beta 3 install with the old database.

Juggler

Found the problem with the messages.

Looks like the 1.0.5 uses the database table smf_instant_messages but 1.1.3 uses smf_personal_messages and also 1.0.5 has smf_im_recipients where as 1.1.3 uses smf_pm_recipients.

Now I tried to do a straight forward copy of data but it doesn't seem to like the structure so does anyone know how I import the 1.0.5 tables into the 1.1.3 format? Or does anyone know what changes to make to the 1.0.5 tables so that I can simply rename them?

Many thanks
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Juggler

Surely someone out there must know how I can get the messages sorted?
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Juggler

Come on guys there has to be a way of recovering the files properly and updating the tables. I can't believe there is no answer to this.
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Oldiesmann

Download either the "upgrade" or "update" package for SMF 1.1 Beta 3, extract upgrade.php and upgrade-1-0.sql, upload them to your SMF directory and run upgrade.php. That should take care of everything.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Juggler

No go, did that when I first set the forum up.
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Oldiesmann

That should fix any problems you have and update the tables as needed.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Juggler

That's the problem, I did all that when I upgraded and everything else imported OK. All my users, all the posts, smilies etc came across fine only issue is the PM's.

Never mind!  :P
The Blue Buzzards
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Advertisement: