Hide content / links?

Started by Dan_y2k, November 25, 2011, 07:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_y2k

Well, I know it's been discussed many times before - but - I saw that in SMF 2 there's an option, in the permissions system, where I create a Permissions Profile to use, I can disallow specific membergroups from doing things, like posting, or attaching files.

I think that in the Permission Profiles, there should be an option to "Disable links" or "Hide content" - which means:

"Disable links" - When a user posts a message inside a forum with a permission profile that has this permission enabled, then specific membergroups won't be able to see links, and will see a notice like: "Sorry, but you can't see this link, unless you have the right permission."

"Hide content" - Just like Disable links, but for the whole message.

I think that this will be easier for you guys to implement.
Regards,
Dan_y2k.

Illori

most forums dont use such features, so i think they would stay as mods.

ziycon

Quote from: Illori on November 25, 2011, 07:18:18 AM
most forums dont use such features, so i think they would stay as mods.
I understand this and maybe not for this feature, depends what the devs think but is the point not meant to be to be as functional as possible and not a case of other forums don't do it so there's no need for SMF to!?

I think there should be some sort of permission for the permissions system to maybe not stop users posting links but to disable them the same way the hxxp mod works.

Illori

i mean i dont see many requests for smf to have this and most forums that do are warez or similar and we dont want to promote that type of site.

Kindred

Actually, I would go a step further and say that this request is actually counterproductive....

As a matter of course...   If I get to a forum site that does that crap, I leave the site and never come back.

either the content is available for me to read as a guest, and I register because I want to participate in the discussion (which is the key to active, actual forums) or the admin is trying to artificially boost his membership stats by forcing people to register to read the content....   in which case, he's likely to have 10,000 users registered and only 5 or so active users (which is a failed forum, IMO)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dan_y2k

Well, it was worth trying... :D

I really think that permissions system is important part of a Bulletin Board Software, and should be the most advanced that it can be, but it's really up to the devs...
Regards,
Dan_y2k.

Suki

Quote from: Dan_y2k on November 25, 2011, 01:41:12 PM
Well, it was worth trying... :D

I really think that permissions system is important part of a Bulletin Board Software, and should be the most advanced that it can be, but it's really up to the devs...

Most of the request have more chances to see the light as a mod request, you can try asking for a modification or take a look at the modsite and see if there is already a similar mod.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

GlobalGroove

Is there any version of this that works with SMF 2.0.2??  I've tried several but errors on each.

Or an alternative mod.....any help to point me in right direction would be appreciated.

airtetdotin

how to stop link posting in a forum ex: forum.airtet.in

emanuele

Hello airtetdotin and welcome to sm.org,

I think your problem is spam, I'd suggest you to read this: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Kindred

airtetdotin, instead of hijacking a really old topic (that actually has nothing to do with what you asked) please start your own thread in the SUPPORT area.
BTW: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2404

if a teamie would please split this topic out and move the request to support?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: