News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Display "Username" instead of "Name"

Started by oobie, August 18, 2005, 08:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oobie

Is there a way I can set the Forum to display the Username instead of the Name. Every time a user registers with my site (via Mambo), the forum uses their real name and not their nickname.

In SMF, the Edit Profile > Account Related Settings window specifically states under "Name" - "This is the displayed name that people will see."

I'd really like to change that to the Username.

[Unknown]

It might be better to change the bridge to make the display name the username.

You see, while in Mambo you're encouraged to enter your real name (as I understand), in SMF you usually enter your login username (which you only see) and have a separate nickname (displayed name) everyone else sees.  For example, here my login username is "Unknown" but my displayed name is "[Unknown]".

-[Unknown]

Orstio

If you decide to change this in the bridge, be very careful.  Changing this the wrong way can result in a security issue.

ninercentral

I was asking about this as well with no real replies... How would I go about making this change? Its pretty important the forum displays user names and not real names.

Orstio

Which version of the bridge are you using?

Have you tried Your Mambo admin, Components Menu, SMF Bridge Registration

There should be a selection for Username/Real Name.

Try changing it to Username, and saving.

If you have an older version of the bridge, find the line in smf_registration.php with this:

'realName' =>

and make sure that has a value of "'$username'" instead of "'$name'".

xenovanis

Quote from: ninercentral on August 23, 2005, 06:13:22 AM
I was asking about this as well with no real replies... How would I go about making this change? Its pretty important the forum displays user names and not real names.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=46528.0
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Advertisement: