News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to Mark All Messages as Unread

Started by norepli, December 10, 2011, 09:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norepli

Hello all,

I see a button on the main page to Mark All Read but I cannot find an option to turn on Mark All Unread for the main page as well. I know there is a Mark Unread for the topics; however, when marked, it does not propagate that unread status back to the main board associated with that topic.

Now, I've been a fool many times so tell me there is an option and I'll increment my own dummy counter. However, if no option is available, is there any way to make that happen by altering a template somewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

norepli

norepli

Hello all (again),

Well, given the total lack of response to my question tells me that I must have asked a very dumb question OR the way to do it is so obvious (via the Admin panel) that even a blind man could see it!

Anyway, thanks for you help in the past and hopefully in the future as well.

Best regards,

norepli

Suki

The  total lack of response to your question can be associated with the short live span your question has or could be associated also with different persons understanding different things, I for example, understand "main page" as the Board Index and on that page I do not see any "Mark Read" button.

The "Mark Read" button (The one that is located inside an specific board, ie: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=1.0) is a by board thing, that is, it will only mark as read all topics from X board, unless, of course, you're talking about a different "Mark Read button".
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

norepli

Hello Miss Sunday,

Thanl you for your response and your comments; however I do have the "Mark All Read" button on my index (main) page in 2.01. See here:

And when I click that button, all the "new" icons go away.

Thanks for your time.

norepli

Suki

Well, "Mark Read"  and "Mark all messages as read"  are 2 different things, although, the 2 buttons point out the the same function in Subs-Boards,  the difference is the later do the job for all boards and the first does it only for the board specified.

I still don't know what you're trying to do, yes the "Mark all messages as read"  does mark all messages as read, that means the "new" icon will disappear since you "already read it" by clicking in the "Mark all messages as read" button.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

MrPhil

It sounds like our impatient friend wants to do the opposite of "Mark all messages read". There is a way to do it for one topic at a time ("Mark Unread") but it sounds like he wants to do this for a wide swath of topics, perhaps even the entire forum. I would guess that this would involve removing or resetting the appropriate table entrie(s) recording what have been seen so far, for a given user, such that it looks like they've never read anything (i.e., look like a Republican from Texas... :) ). I suppose this could be extended for the admin reset all users, but I'm not sure that's what he's asking for.

Dan2331

You can do this by using..

yoursite.com/index.php?action=unread

And when it got opened you can see "Mark ALL messages as read"

Then it is done...Is this is what you want?

norepli

Hello all,

Thank fou for your responses:

I am sorry that I left out the word "all" in my description which created much confusion.
I am sorry for appearing to be "impatient" when I was just trying to be a bit comical.
The proposed action by Dan is not what I wanted (but thanks anyway Dan).

Thanks to all for their efforts.

MrPhil

Quote from: norepli on December 12, 2011, 03:43:29 PM
I am sorry for appearing to be "impatient" when I was just trying to be a bit comical.
No problem. We do get people who leave in a huff if they don't get a response in 15 minutes.

The proposed action by Dan is not what I wanted (but thanks anyway Dan).
I think you'd better make a mod request for this feature. Since it can be done for member for a specific topic (thread), I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge leap to mark all messages unread.

norepli

Hi MrPhil,

Thank you for the suggestion to ask for a mod. The only reason I asked about the possibility of having a Mark All Messages Unread on the index page was because I saw a similar option available in two other (non-SMF software) forums. However, both used a drop-down menu option to select either Mark All Messages Read/Unread instead of a button on the index (main) page. Anyway, I'm going to just let this one go because it really was just a "might be nice to have thing."

Thanks again,

norepli

Advertisement: