News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Search results not split into multiple pages

Started by gasman, December 16, 2011, 05:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman

When I do a search on my forum, I only get one page of results. In Settings, if I change the number of results per page to 100, I get 100 results on one page. If I change it to 20, I get 20 results for the same search. But I only get that one page - there are no further pages of results to go to. There is no link to go to page 2 for results 21-40, 41-60 etc. I am searching for an extremely common term that has thousands of hits.

My settings:
SMF 2.0.1, no mods
Apache server
Safari/Firefox browsers
Mac OS
Search settings: Adavanced only, custom index, Maximum Results to show = 0 (ie no maximum), time required between searches = 0

Illori

emanuele

Is it the one linked from the one you have in the signature? (good-music-guide.com/community)

I searched for music and I got 61 pages.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

gasman

Yes, default theme.

OK, I did a bit more experimenting, and there is still something screwy.

If you do a search (lets say for "music" that gets many hits on my site), using the default settings, I do indeed get many pages of results.

But if I check the "Show results as messages" box, I always get just one page.

Am I reading it wrong, or should checking this box simply expand the results and show the message/post instead of just the topic heading? In that case, why does it not return pages of results?

emanuele

I think it is related to the custom index.
If you use "no index" it would show you more results (but before you have to logout or anyway change the session closing the browser for example).

Don't know if this can be considered a bug or not (I tend to think that is not). But let's see if someone with more experience in search have an idea. ;)

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

szinski

Experiencing the same problem with my 2.0.4 forum.

When I search for a particular word on my forum, I get exactly ONE page of results (20 results). If I change the results per page to 100, then I'll get exactly one page of 100 results. Change the results per page back to 20 and I'm back to one page of 20 results instead of 5 pages of 20 results.

I've tried different settings to no avail. No index, Custom index, doesn't matter.

The search function is one of the most used tools on my forum, so I need to figure out why this is happening and get it fixed. Any ideas?

Thanks!

emanuele

Searches are limited to registered users, can you open it up for a while or provide a test account?

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

szinski

I'm re-opening this bug report because it continues to this day. I upgraded to a much faster server (8 core Xeon processor, 32 GB RAM, SAS storage) which I thought *might* resolve the problem due to some speed/memory constraints of the old server, but the problem remains.

Let me explain in better detail what's going on.

From Advanced Search, I enter the search term "ADY dry Peter" and I get exactly 100 search results (1 page of 100 results). That's because I have the "Number of search results per page" set to 100. If I reduce that number to 50, then I get exactly 50 results (1 page of 50 results). If I increase the number to 500, then I get 357 results (1 page of 357 results) which seems to all of the posts containing those words.

So, if I set my search results per page to 50, then I should see 8 pages of results... but I'm only seeing 1 page of 50 results.

Now here's the interesting thing...

If I search for "Neapolitan pizza Peter" I'll get 7 pages of 100 results (I have search results per page set to 100). So in this case it seems to work... I'm seeing all 661 posts that contain those words.

So the problem seems to be related to the length of the search words, because if I change the word "Neapolitan" to "IDY" I'm back to only 1 page of 100 results.

Running SMF 2.0.9.

Kindred

can not reproduce it here...

I just searched for 
API not SMF

got 357 pages of 50 each - both with Show results as messages checked and unchecked...

which suggests that something non-standard is happening at your site.

mods installed? URL?

can you open search to guests or provide a test account, as emanuele asked, 2 years ago? :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on February 03, 2015, 11:20:10 AM
can not reproduce it here...

I just searched for 
API not SMF

got 357 pages of 50 each - both with Show results as messages checked and unchecked...

which suggests that something non-standard is happening at your site.

mods installed? URL?

can you open search to guests or provide a test account, as emanuele asked, 2 years ago? :)

i would not consider a test here valid as this site does not use the default SMF search engine.

szinski

szinski

I have the following mods installed:

Like Posts   2.0.2
Ignore User Button   1.0
Ad Managment   3.0.1
Remove "Last edit" mod   0.2.5
Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin   4.2.2
Images on Print Page   1.1
httpBL   2.5.1
Add Social Media Icons To Profiles   1.2.0
Search Focus Dropdown   1.6.1
Age And Location   1.0
External and NoFollow All Links   1.0.0
PM to New Members   1.2
Resize Attached Images   2.4.1
Stop Forum Spam   1.0
Simple Audio Video Embedder

Yes, I do have Search Focus Dropdown installed, but the same behavior exists with it uninstalled.

szinski

I don't think it's a mod, because if you read the first message in this thread, the other user experienced the same problem with a clean install.

Kindred

I understand that it probably isn't a mod...   but we need DATA to debug and/or rule out.... :)

I won't be able to test further myself until tomorrow evening EST
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

Its not a mod issue, its a mixture of things, the SMF default search is not as good and as powerful as it was (its getting bit outdated)  its also due to the terms been searched.  May be a bit better on 2.1 as it was updated. Alternatively you could look it incorporating another search client such as google (cant remember if it can still be incorporated into a site)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: