News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Ohara YouTube Embed

Started by Suki, December 21, 2011, 03:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wahlmat

That's me being stupid.
hxxp:forum.energydrinkdiscussions.com/index.php?topic=9.0 [nonactive]
First post in that topic!

Suki

It works just fine for me.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

wahlmat

It works for me, to play the video, but when you go into a site, the "player" looks like this:

Isn't it supposed to look something like this, the player?

Suki

No, the new version loads the video data on demand, ei, when the user clicks on the thumbnail. This is to render your pages faster.

Every video loads lots of stuff, the more videos you have on a page the more slow your page will be, this new version cuts that off by loading the video's data only when requested.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

wahlmat

Ah okay, then that makes sense why it looks like that! Thanks!

Is it possible to revert to the older version that loads everything, even if that takes more data power to load?

Suki

Uninstall the current mod and install this https://github.com/MissAllSunday/OharaYouTubeEmbed/releases/tag/v1.2

OharaYTEmbed_v1.2.zip is a ready to install package

Be absolutely sure to install the mod on the theme you are currently using

wahlmat

Low

Installed and now I have 500 error? I really should start reading problems with mods before installing third party as very few seem to work.

Suki

500 errors are typically server issues which also explain why you seem to have issues with every mod you install.

Anyway, need more info, does your server log has anything?

Low

A lot of people seem to have server issues who install this mod. Permissions are set to 0755 fold  and 0644 files.

Suki

Quote from: Low on April 27, 2015, 11:11:58 AM
A lot of people seem to have server issues who install this mod. Permissions are set to 0755 fold  and 0644 files.

Can you please show me some examples of that?

I didn't ask what your permissions were, I ask whats in your php error log. Can you please provide what I asked, thanks.

Low

I don't have time to quote all of the people in this thread who also have the same 500 error. I mentioned the permissions because that seems to be the solution to all the other problems people have with this mod. Just thought I'd save time.

Low

No errors are showing in logs

Suki

Quote from: Low on April 27, 2015, 11:33:58 AM
I don't have time to quote all of the people in this thread who also have the same 500 error. I mentioned the permissions because that seems to be the solution to all the other problems people have with this mod. Just thought I'd save time.

You certainly did have time to check it so please provide actual facts to back up your statement.

Anyway, this is a search for "500" on this topic:  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=search2;search=500;topic=462968

It shows a grand total of 3 people having "error 500" issues (you included).   3 people out of more than 10k downloads this mod has certainly isn't "a lot".

Just want to make this clear enough, claiming false accusations  will not get you anywhere if you want to receive support from me.

Now, as the search results indicates, 500 errors are usually due to bad/weird server configurations, specially host that naively restrict 0777 permissions or otherwise flag them as insecure.  There is nothing I can do a bout it since it is not within this mod's range to actually fix that (2.1 already addressed this, I haven't check it that deeply).

Your best bet would be to manually install this mod(following the mod's parser) , which is quite easy or use another mod but you will face the same issues you already have with this one anyway ::), which once again proves that it is your server the culprit rather than this mod.

Low

False accusations? You ASSUME it's everyone else fault but my domain with a fresh copy of SMF 2.0.9 was fine until the second YOUR mod was uploaded. It's caused a lot of problems for many others as well as you pointed out. Not everyone who uses SMF is a developer and perhaps a warning should be placed with your mod what can happen with certain hosts (assuming it is our hosts fault, I still don't know).

Suki

Yes, false accusations, when you are asked to back up your statements but failed to do so. Pretty basic concept.

I already pointed out that only 3 out of 10k downloads has ever have a 500 issue with this mod and in all those 3 cases (including you) it was their server configuration.

I also already pointed out that you will have the same issue no matter what mod you decide to install but please be my guest and do try to check that for yourself :)

I honestly do not have the time to argue with you, I already give you an answer, take it or leave it, you are also free to install any other mod you see fit, you aren't required to install any of the modifications I made and/or maintain.

Looking at your other support requests it seems you are quite a "difficult customer" and seems to love to have arguments just for the sake of having an argument so pardon me if I, from now on, pass from any support request from you.

My only concern is to clear any false accusations, which I already did, no point in keep on being reiterative.

Low

They are not false accusations. Your mod does not work with some server configurations and a lot of people have had the same 500 problem which happened directly after installing your mod. I've seen your replies to other people who have had problems with your mod and I think I'll stay away from any mod you produce in the future. All the best.

Myth_72

I installed it, but it show me, black square but not youtube clips

Suki

I see where the error is, the .css file only gets uploaded to the default theme but the code is using $settings['theme_url'] which will try to use the current installed theme and not the default one :(

I'll release a fix for this later.  In the meantime you can try this:

Open your Sources/OharaYTEmbed.php and find this:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="'. $settings['theme_url'] .'/css/oharaEmbed.css" />

And replace it with this:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="'. $settings['default_theme_url'] .'/css/oharaEmbed.css" />

rtil

when i install this the configuration area appears blank in the admin panel, and youtube links simply just have the [youtube] bbcode around them but don't show up as embedded videos.

one thing to mention is that i have aeva 7.1 which recently stopped working on youtube videos because google deprecated their old API that it used . so i disabled the youtube options in aeva. even though they are disabled could it possibly be conflicting with this mod? i'm on 2.0.7 and php 5.4

Advertisement: