News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ban, delete account and all topics in one click

Started by Illuminatus, December 31, 2011, 08:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illuminatus

It's rare you're going to ban a spammer and leave all his posts up, and two screens for doing these actions is a bit inconvenient at the moment.

I propose a screen where you can ban, delete account and delete all posts in a single click, with no warning dialogue box coming up saying: "Oooh, are you sure?" (which gets really annoying when you're deleting several accounts per day).

Sorry if it's been suggested already.

Thanks!

Kindred

Until the first time that an admin accidentally deletes and bans an account accidentally... At which point, me have screams about why the "are you sure" was not left there.......
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illuminatus

Quote from: Kindred on December 31, 2011, 10:57:12 AM
Until the first time that an admin accidentally deletes and bans an account accidentally... At which point, me have screams about why the "are you sure" was not left there.......

I thought about this. I think a text warning in red, bold font next to the "OK" button would do the job just as well. It could say: "Warning! This will permanently delete..." etc.

There is something satisfying about being able to nuke an account in a single click, especially with how much time forum admins have to spend on such work these days.

vbgamer45

I have a mod called quick ban on account delete. Adds banning to the delete account page.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2427
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

cebu

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 31, 2011, 11:57:54 AM
I have a mod called quick ban on account delete. Adds banning to the delete account page.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2427

ive been using this and indeed its very usefull and easy to ban and at the same time delete the posts made by the spammers.
www.toyotaautoclubcebu.com
www.club4efte.com
www.autopartsph.com

_Ziggy_

Quote from: Illuminatus on December 31, 2011, 08:34:25 AM
It's rare you're going to ban a spammer ......

(which gets really annoying when you're deleting several accounts per day).

Have you tried keeping the spammers out, so you won't have to delete their accounts and messages?
Bluesforum.com   2.0                     Bluesforum.nl   2.0
Rockabilly-forum.com   2.0              Bluesharp.nl   2.0
Bungalowpark-forum.nl   2.0        Eee pad forum   2.01
Cristiano Ronaldo   2.02              Lockout Tagout   2.02

Looking to buy existing forums, send pm.

Web Help Forums

I get spammed constantly :( and I would really like to have a checkbox to also period or permanently ban a user (e.g. based on email address / ip address) when I am deleting a user + all posts/topics.

I have to delete like 10-20 users every day, so it would be quite a time server to have ban+delete combined :)

(Maybe I am missing something, but currently I have to do both separately?)

Arantor

Better would be to prevent them joining in the first place. Use the Bad Behaviour mod, combined with asking a good question on registration (Admin > Configuration > Security and Moderation > Anti-Spam) - a good question is one that isn't math related, isn't quite so easy to find the answer on Google and is relevant to your forum.

(The symptoms are lots of spam, curing the symptoms means making it easier to clean up spam. Instead, cure the problem: spammers, then you don't need to have to clean it up at all.)

Oldiesmann

I've also found the anti-spam links mod to be quite effective. It doesn't stop the spammers from joining, but it does stop them from being able to post links.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Web Help Forums

I already ask two questions that are made very unique and aren't bot'able.

These are real humans spamming, possibly later on assisted. But the login is by humans. (Although I do know that spam tools AFAIK have a database of questions/answers, so it is possible the questions *are* bot'able now)

I will look into bad behavior and anti-spam links...

Still, I wish it was easier to clean forum for spam when you have it by combining delete+ban. I don't think I will ever cure the problem completely, so lessening the spent sweeping hrough the forum would be nice :)

Antechinus

There is a mod available: Quick ban on Account Delete. You could try that for now.

Web Help Forums

Quick ban on Account delete was exactly what I was looking for!

Just installed bad behavior as well :)

Thanks!

Moerpot

Quote from: Illuminatus on December 31, 2011, 08:34:25 AM
I propose a screen where you can ban, delete account and delete all posts in a single click, with no warning dialogue box coming up saying: "Oooh, are you sure?" (which gets really annoying when you're deleting several accounts per day).

OK. I KNOW this is an old link, but did you ever try the program:
X-Mouse button control   ?
You set a sequence of characters and functions to do for , let's say, the middle-button of the mouse. 123 and the program follows through to the point you want to be.
Google, download, install, learn, do.

Advertisement: