News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Visual presentation bugs and errors

Started by BeeKay, December 31, 2011, 10:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeKay

Having recently completed an initial 'translation' of much of the English_British language pack v2.0.x, one of the things that has become increasingly obvious to me is the lack of consistency in the visual presentation of the configuration screens  For example:

1.  On some pages the selection item is on the left with the selection box on the right while on other pages it is reversed.
2.  On some items the ending punctuation is hard-coded while elsewhere it is part of the language file.
3.  In some places the required input unit (e.g. minutes, days etc.) is placed after the selection box while in other places it is part of the selection item definition in the language file.
4.  On many screens there is a mixture of sentence case and camel/proper case used for titles, headings etc.

In many cases I have identified where changes are required to the source or template files to standardise the layout.  A minor correction to the coding works in nearly every case, so here is the first of those bugs/corrections.

Firstly, in accordance with the Bug Report guidelines:

My setup:
      SMF version:   2.0.2 (patched from 2.0.1)
      Modifications installed:   None
      Themes installed:   Standard
      Non-English language packs installed:   English_British
      Using UTF-8:   No
      Any other related information:      None

Server software:
      Apache/IIS version:      2.2.14
      PHP version:   5.3.1
      Database type and version:   MySQL 5.4.1
      Any other related server information:   None

Where the error occurred:
      File:      Register.template.php
      Function:      template_verification_sound()
      Line:      490-491, 504-507
      Relevant errors in the SMF error log:   None

How to reproduce the error:
      From the initial screen, select Register -> Accept the agreement -> Listen to the sounds
      Also occurs when validating a personal message (and posting this topic) but they use the same function

Additional Information:
   1.   The Help popup that appears is black text on dark blue background making it very difficult to read.
   Current code (lines 490-491)
<body style="margin: 1ex;">
<div class="popuptext" style="text-align: center;">';

Changing this code to the standard Help popup will produce a standard black text in a white box on the dark blue background.
   Modified code (lines 490-491)
<body id="help_popup">
<div class="windowbg description" style="text-align: center;">';

2.   The contents of the Help popup (above) should also be reorganised so that they are spaced further apart and the 'Close window' option comes last (as standard).
   Current code (lines 504-507)
<br />
<a href="', $context['verification_sound_href'], ';sound" rel="nofollow">', $txt['visual_verification_sound_again'], '</a><br />
<a href="javascript:self.close();">', $txt['visual_verification_sound_close'], '</a><br />
<a href="', $context['verification_sound_href'], '" rel="nofollow">', $txt['visual_verification_sound_direct'], '</a>

Modified code (lines 504-507)
<br /><br />
<a href="', $context['verification_sound_href'], ';sound" rel="nofollow">', $txt['visual_verification_sound_again'], '</a><br /><br />
<a href="', $context['verification_sound_href'], '" rel="nofollow">', $txt['visual_verification_sound_direct'], '</a><br /><br />
<a href="javascript:self.close();">', $txt['visual_verification_sound_close'], '</a><br /><br />

Joker™

First of all thanks for such detailed report.

Regarding your bug report:

1. Yes that can be termed as bug in terms of consistency.
2. Dev's can decide on that whether we need revamp in that area or not.

Quote from: BeeKay on December 31, 2011, 10:24:21 AM
1.  On some pages the selection item is on the left with the selection box on the right while on other pages it is reversed.
2.  On some items the ending punctuation is hard-coded while elsewhere it is part of the language file.
3.  In some places the required input unit (e.g. minutes, days etc.) is placed after the selection box while in other places it is part of the selection item definition in the language file.
4.  On many screens there is a mixture of sentence case and camel/proper case used for titles, headings etc.
Can you tell us more instances related to that, so that we can trace the bugs collectively on the tracker :).
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

BeeKay

Quote from: Joker™ on January 03, 2012, 05:49:03 AM

Can you tell us more instances related to that, so that we can trace the bugs collectively on the tracker :).

Thanks for your reply.  I will post my findings in this topic over the next few days/weeks.  Can't do them all at once as I'm gradually working through all the screens again after completing the initial language work.  A drip feed will probably be best anyway.  Many of the changes are quite minor and almost all of the instances are in the configuration screens rather than the boards and topics themselves.

As already mentioned, in many cases I have identified (and tested) where changes can be made to improve the visual presentation and will include my suggested re-coding with the reports.   One of the things I find about commercial software (obviously SMF is not commercial) is it's consistency of layout which I think at present some of SMF doesn't have - hence my input.  No offence intended - I like the programme and the way it has been implemented.

Just for reference, I'm testing on my own local unmodified installation of SMF v2.0.2 using Windows XP Pro, IE8 and Firefox 9 with Firebug.

BeeKay

Quote from: Joker™ on January 03, 2012, 05:49:03 AM

You asked for more instances of the items I referred to above so here are quite a few.  Read as key strokes to get to the example followed by my comments on what needs to be done to produce a better visual experience!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall layout is generally selection item/caption on the left with selection/input box on the right and this should be the standard.
   However for Themes, in particular, this is generally reversed at present.

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout -> Profile
      Layout between second and third horizontal lines has checkboxes and input boxes to the left of the selection item/caption.
      Coded as a list (<li>) rather than definitions (<dt>/<dd>) like most other pages.
      Requires modification of function template_profile_theme_settings in Profile.template.php lines 1460-1583.
      Exact details of the template modification to follow.

Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Member Options -> Configure guest and new user options for this theme
   Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Member Options -> Change current options for all members using this theme
      Layout on both pages has checkboxes and input boxes to the left of the selection item/caption.
      Coded as a list (<li>) rather than definitions (<dt>/<dd>) like most other pages.
      Requires modification of function template_set_options in Themes.template.php lines 343-422.

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Notifications -> Profile
      Layout in the top section has checkboxes and input boxes to the left of the selection item/caption.
      Coded as input and label rather than definitions (<dt>/<dd>) like most other pages.
      Requires modification of function template_notification in Profile.template.php lines 1585-1654.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Account Settings -> Profile
      'Current Password', 'Primary Membergroup', 'Additional Membergroups' all end with hard-coded colon but other labels do not.
      Requires modification of function template_edit_options in Profile.template.php line 1199 so that all labels end with colons for consistency with other pages.

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Forum Profile -> Profile
      'Birthdate' ('Date of Birth'), 'Signature' and 'Karma' all end with hard-coded colon but other labels do not.
      Requires modification of function template_edit_options in Profile.template.php line 1199 so that all labels end with colons for consistency with other pages.

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Personal Messaging -> Profile
      Some prompts end with hard-coded colon, other prompts with no punctuation.
      Requires modification of function template_profile_pm_settings Profile.template.php lines 1376-1457.
      Can't be changed until other templates modified as variable is used elsewhere.

Admin -> Members -> Ban List -> Add New Ban -> Expiry
      Hard-coded colon after 'Ban will expire after' but not on any of the other options.
      Requires modification of function template_ban_edit in ManageBans.template.php line 62 to remove hard-coded colon.

Admin -> Members -> Ban List -> Add New Ban -> Triggers
      Hard-coded colon after 'Ban on username' but not on any of the other options.
      Requires modification of function template_ban_edit in ManageBans.template.php line 113 to remove hard-coded colon.

Profile -> Errors
      Hard-coded colon/full stop is inconsistent with all other error messages.
      Requires modification of function template_error_message in Profile.template.php lines 2487 and 2494.

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout -> Profile
      There are 5 combo boxes at the bottom of the page.  Four do NOT have a hard-coded colon in the template but the item 'First day of the week...' DOES have a hard-coded colon.
      Can be corrected in the language file but why should that be necessary because these 5 items are not coded the same?
      Requires modification of function template_profile_theme_settings in Profile.template.php line 1589.

Admin -> Forum -> Posts and Topics -> Post Settings
   Admin -> Forum -> Posts and Topics -> Topic Settings
      Both these pages show input units after input boxes.
      Units included in array definition in function ModifyPostSettings in Sources/ManagePosts.php lines 194-196 and 199-201.
      This is HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE throughout the programme!

Admin -> Forum -> Attachments and Avatars -> Attachment Settings
      Attachment Settings page shows some input units after input boxes.
      Requires modification of function ManageAttachmentSettings in Sources/ManageAttachments.php lines 188/9 to include units.
      Modification needs new variable ($txt['pixels']) defined in language file.
      Language file definitions can then have the units removed (2 lines).
      Exact details of the source file modification to follow.

Admin -> Forum -> Attachments and Avatars -> Avatar Settings
      Avatar Settings page does not show input units after input boxes.
      Requires modification of function ManageAvatarSettings in Sources/ManageAttachments.php lines 235/6 and 248/9 to include units.
      Modification needs new variable ($txt['pixels']) defined in language file.
      Language file definitions can then have the units removed (4 lines)'.

Admin -> Configuration -> Current Theme -> Themes and Options Preferences
      Item 'Fader delay....' has no indication of input units.
      Modification needs new variable ($txt['milliseconds'])) defined in language file.
      Language file definitions can then have the units removed.
      Can't find where to modify template file yet.
      Exact details of the file modification to follow.

Admin -> Configuration -> Features and Options -> General
      The fields 'Overall time offset' and 'User online time threshold' need units specified (hours, minutes respectively) but are not included in the sources, template or language files.
      Requires modification of function ModifyBasicSettings in Sources/ManageSettings.php, lines 472 and 477 to include units.
      Modification needs new variable ($txt['minutes'])) defined in language file ($txt['hours'] already defined).
      Language file definitions can then have the units removed (2 lines).

Register -> Registration Form -> Required Information
      'Email' should be 'Email Address', 'Choose password' and 'Verify password' should both be camel case.
      Changing variable definition in the language file changes other labels incorrectly.
      Modification would need new camel case variables defined in language file.

'Choose password' and 'Verify password' are sentence case while every other label is camel case.
      Changing variable definition in the language file changes these labels incorrectly when used elsewhere.

'Choose password' and 'Verify password' are sentence case while every other label is camel case.
      Changing variable definition in the language file changes these labels incorrectly when used elsewhere.

Admin -> Main -> Package Manager -> Download Packages
      In the 'Download New Packages' section, the titles of the boxes are sentence case but should be camel case for consistency.
      However, words like 'a, by, with, for, and, etc. should never be capitialised.
      Variable definitions can be changed in the relevant language file.

Admin -> Members -> Membergroups -> Add Membergroup
      'Membergroup name' and 'Required posts' labels are sentence case while every other label on the left side is camel case.
      'Select Group Type' box label on the right is camel case while other 2 box labels are sentence case.
      Variable definitions can be changed in the relevant language file.

Quite a long list but by no means a complete one!
Do you wish me to post the code modifications in full here or would it be better to put them in files and attach to my posts?

Antechinus

Thanks for the feedback. Do it the way that is easiest for you. Given the number of tweaks, perhaps just edited files with comments added might be best, since I assume you already have the edited files.

BeeKay

Quote from: Antechinus on January 08, 2012, 06:06:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Do it the way that is easiest for you. Given the number of tweaks, perhaps just edited files with comments added might be best, since I assume you already have the edited files.

I've attached a .zip file which contains the first batch of my suggested modifications.  The package consists of 1 css, 7 source, 22 template and 1 language files.  There is a 'Readme.txt' file in the root folder of the unzipped package.  Please read it before using any of the included files.

The files are modified versions of the actual files with details of the mods and any comments added.  The details and comments have been added in such a way that they do not interfere with the running of the files.  It is therefore possible to install them into any forum and they should work as I intended so you can see the mods in action.

All the mods in this package are for configuration pages; changes have not been made to board layouts (probably not needed).  In an effort to standardise pages, I have concentrated mainly on 2 particular areas for now (although not exclusively) -  (1) the visual layout of pages/panels and (2) the positioning of buttons.  Most pages were already formatted with captions on the left and input boxes on the right so I have adopted that as the standard.  However, there seems to be no set formatting for buttons so I have opted to position them at the bottom right of each page/panel.

There are many more possibilities for modifications to make the programme look better and I'm already working on the next package.  I hope these mods will prove useful.

emanuele

Great work!! :D

Just a note, in "Admin -> Forum -> Smileys and Message Icons -> Smiley Sets -> Add New Smiley Set" it's not necessary to add a space at the end, the "proper" fix would be:
Code (find) Select
'value' => '<input type="submit" name="delete" value="' . $txt['smiley_sets_delete'] . '" onclick="return confirm(\'' . $txt['smiley_sets_confirm'] . '\');" style="float: right;" class="button_submit" /> [<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=admin;area=smileys;sa=modifyset' . '">' . $txt['smiley_sets_add'] . '</a>]',

Code (replace with) Select
'value' => '[<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=admin;area=smileys;sa=modifyset' . '">' . $txt['smiley_sets_add'] . '</a>] <input type="submit" name="delete" value="' . $txt['smiley_sets_delete'] . '" onclick="return confirm(\'' . $txt['smiley_sets_confirm'] . '\');" class="button_submit" />',

Note I removed the inline style (style="float: right;" ) from the button and I switched the link and the button (now also the vertical alignment is similar to the one of the other pages (like for example admin > maintenance > mail > browse queue)

ETA: just noticed that in same file (ManageSmileys.php) there is also:
Code (find) Select
'value' => '<input type="submit" name="delete" value="' . $txt['quickmod_delete_selected'] . '" style="float: right" class="button_submit" />[<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=admin;area=smileys;sa=editicon">' . $txt['icons_add_new'] . '</a>]',

'value' => '[<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=admin;area=smileys;sa=editicon">' . $txt['icons_add_new'] . '</a>] <input type="submit" name="delete" value="' . $txt['quickmod_delete_selected'] . '" class="button_submit" />',

ETA2:
Just wondering, would make sense to change ManageNews.template.php from:
Code (find) Select
<div class="floatleftpadding">
<div id="moreNewsItems_link" style="display: none;"><a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="addNewsItem(); return false;">', $txt['editnews_clickadd'], '</a></div>
<script type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[
document.getElementById("moreNewsItems_link").style.display = "";
function addNewsItem()
{
document.getElementById("moreNews").style.display = "";
setOuterHTML(document.getElementById("moreNewsItems"), \'<div style="margin-bottom: 2ex;"><textarea rows="3" cols="65" name="news[]" style="' . ($context['browser']['is_ie8'] ? 'width: 635px; max-width: 85%; min-width: 85%' : 'width: 85%') . ';"><\' + \'/textarea><\' + \'/div><div id="moreNewsItems"><\' + \'/div>\');
}
// ]]></script>
<noscript>
<div style="margin-bottom: 2ex;"><textarea rows="3" cols="65" style="' . ($context['browser']['is_ie8'] ? 'width: 635px; max-width: 85%; min-width: 85%' : 'width: 85%') . ';" name="news[]"></textarea></div>
</noscript>
</div>
<div class="floatrightpadding">
<input type="submit" name="save_items" value="', $txt['save'], '" class="button_submit" /> <input type="submit" name="delete_selection" value="', $txt['editnews_remove_selected'], '" onclick="return confirm(\'', $txt['editnews_remove_confirm'], '\');" class="button_submit" />
</div>

to this?
<div class="flow_auto">
<div class="floatright">
<span id="moreNewsItems_link" style="display: none;">[<a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="addNewsItem(); return false;">', $txt['editnews_clickadd'], '</a>]</span> <input type="submit" name="save_items" value="', $txt['save'], '" class="button_submit" /> <input type="submit" name="delete_selection" value="', $txt['editnews_remove_selected'], '" onclick="return confirm(\'', $txt['editnews_remove_confirm'], '\');" class="button_submit" />
function addNewsItem()
{
setOuterHTML(document.getElementById("moreNewsItems"), \'<div style="margin-bottom: 2ex;"><textarea rows="3" cols="65" name="news[]" style="' . ($context['browser']['is_ie8'] ? 'width: 635px; max-width: 85%; min-width: 85%' : 'width: 85%') . ';"><\' + \'/textarea><\' + \'/div><div id="moreNewsItems"><\' + \'/div>\');
}
// ]]></script>
<noscript>
<div style="margin-bottom: 2ex;"><textarea rows="3" cols="65" style="' . ($context['browser']['is_ie8'] ? 'width: 635px; max-width: 85%; min-width: 85%' : 'width: 85%') . ';" name="news[]"></textarea></div>
</noscript>
</div>
</div>

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

BeeKay

Quote from: emanuele on January 24, 2012, 07:13:52 AM
ETA2:
Just wondering, would make sense to change ManageNews.template.php to this?
<div class="flow_auto">
<div class="floatright">
<span id="moreNewsItems_link" style="display: none;">[<a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="addNewsItem(); return false;">', $txt['editnews_clickadd'], '</a>]</span> <input type="submit" name="save_items" value="', $txt['save'], '" class="button_submit" /> <input type="submit" name="delete_selection" value="', $txt['editnews_remove_selected'], '" onclick="return confirm(\'', $txt['editnews_remove_confirm'], '\');" class="button_submit" />
function addNewsItem()
{
}
// ]]></script>
<noscript>
</noscript>
</div>
</div>

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm happy with your first two suggestions although I would say that the only change I had made to the SMF original was to add the &nbsp; code at the end of the first one.  I now know what to look out for in similar situations as I progress through further mods (the syntax of PHP is still relatively new to me!).

I'm also happy with the third suggestion but I've made 3 minor changes.
(1) I've changed the <span> line to a <div> encompassing the whole line and added a 'margin-top = 1ex;' to the style field.  That way there is a small white space above the buttons to separate them from the panel above.  The overall effect gives a similar look to the mods at items 1 and 2.
(2) and (3) I've changed the 'margin-bottom to 1ex;' so that the news input box is vertically centred - as I wanted it - whether the box contains saved text or is a new empty box.  The code for this is below (including comments).

Code (amended replacement) Select
<div class="flow_auto">
<div class="floatright">
/* need white space above buttons */
<div id="moreNewsItems_link" style="display: none; margin-top: 1ex;">[<a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="addNewsItem(); return false;">', $txt['editnews_clickadd'], '</a>] <input type="submit" name="save_items" value="', $txt['save'], '" class="button_submit" /> <input type="submit" name="delete_selection" value="', $txt['editnews_remove_selected'], '" onclick="return confirm(\'', $txt['editnews_remove_confirm'], '\');" class="button_submit" /></div>
function addNewsItem()
{
/* margin-bottom changed to 1ex */
setOuterHTML(document.getElementById("moreNewsItems"), \'<div style="margin-bottom: 1ex;"><textarea rows="3" cols="65" name="news[]" style="' . ($context['browser']['is_ie8'] ? 'width: 635px; max-width: 85%; min-width: 85%' : 'width: 85%') . ';"><\' + \'/textarea><\' + \'/div><div id="moreNewsItems"><\' + \'/div>\');
}
// ]]></script>
<noscript>
/* margin-bottom changed to 1ex */
<div style="margin-bottom: 1ex;"><textarea rows="3" cols="65" style="' . ($context['browser']['is_ie8'] ? 'width: 635px; max-width: 85%; min-width: 85%' : 'width: 85%') . ';" name="news[]"></textarea></div>
</noscript>
</div>
</div>

BeeKay

Quote from: BeeKay on January 23, 2012, 06:45:20 PM
There are many more possibilities for modifications to make the programme look better and I'm already working on the next package.  I hope these mods will prove useful.

I've attached a .zip file which contains the Sources files of the next batch of my suggested modifications.  A second file containing the Themes files is being posted separately.  Both parts are required for the complete set of modifications.

The complete package consists of 19 source, 27 template, 1 language and 1 css  files (there are no changes to the css file this time).  There is also a 'Readme(2).txt' file in the root folder of each of the unzipped files containing updated information on the modifications.  Please read it before using any of the included files.

As before, the files are modified versions of the actual files with details of the mods and many comments added.  Again, it should be possible to install them into any forum (provided you also install files from my previous package) and they should work as I intended so you can see the mods in action.

BeeKay

Quote from: BeeKay on February 20, 2012, 09:45:42 AM
A second file containing the Themes files is being posted separately.  Both parts are required for the complete set of modifications.

Here is the second .zip file containing the Themes files.

Antechinus

Ok. I'll make an effort to review them as soon as I can. :)

BeeKay

Quote from: Antechinus on February 20, 2012, 03:33:54 PM
Ok. I'll make an effort to review them as soon as I can. :)

I note that the files I posted some 3 months ago have been downloaded in the last few days - I hope by someone from Simple Machines.  I do not intend to post any further files of suggested updates/modifications until I receive some feedback on the work I have done so far.

Spuds

We have made a lot of updates in the 2.1 branch some of which included our attempt to commonize many of the forms as you pointed out.  Don't know if we got them all, and in fact I'm sure we did not, but a lot of things were fixed  :)  Thanks again for your help in pointing these out !!

BeeKay

Quote from: Spuds on May 27, 2012, 07:10:43 PM
We have made a lot of updates in the 2.1 branch some of which included our attempt to commonize many of the forms as you pointed out.  Don't know if we got them all, and in fact I'm sure we did not, but a lot of things were fixed  :)  Thanks again for your help in pointing these out !!

Thanks for your reply.  Where can I get a copy of 2.1 to check out the changes?  It's not on the Download page yet.

Arantor

2.1 is not publicly visible anywhere AFAIK.

Antechinus

https://github.com/Spuds/playpen

Keep an eye on that repo for the latest. Still very much WIP, of course.

Arantor

* Arantor thought that repo wasn't supposed to be general knowledge or linked anywhere?

Antechinus

* Antechinus didn't know that coz nobody told me

It is publicly accessible and listed under Spuds' Github profile, that also lists all his mods, etc, so it's not at all hard to find. I just went looking for it myself, without having a Github account and therefore not logged in, because offhand I couldn't remember where the main repo was. If it is not supposed to be linked anywhere, we need better security. :)

If Spuds grumbles about it, he can also delete the link from the other post. I don't mind.

ETA: I just sent him a heads up on MSN.

Advertisement: