How to move SMF to another installation directory?

Started by Antignor, January 03, 2012, 12:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antignor

Hi,

I am very much a noob and I have a forum installed on hxxp:www.mydomain.com/messageboard [nonactive] but I want to move it to hxxp:www.mydomain.com/forum. [nonactive]
I found the Repair Settings tool http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php, but when I look inside the script it looks like it's for SMF 1.1 while I have 2.x (the latest version) installed. Will this tool still work? How do I go about if it does, and how if it doesn't?

Do I just have to rename the message board directory from 'messageboard' into 'forum', run the script from inside the 'forum' directory and fill in the right directory-name or something like that?
And if the script is not for the latest version, is there a manual/tutorial somewhere that describes how and what to change? I've been looking around, but I haven't been able to find something like that.

Thanks

Illori

that version of repair_settings.php does work with 2.0 as well as 1.1.1*.

just renaming your forum folder and running the script and following its options should do the trick, but you may also want to create a redirect from the old folder to the new.

Antignor

That was really easy. I changed the directory name, ran the script from the new dir and all new/changed paths were already suggested. I just had to click them to replace the old ones. Marvelous! I was afraid of all kinds of technical stuff, but there were none to find :-)

Thanks!

Sybille Yates

Ok, instead of opening a new thread I thought I would ask my question here:

I need to move my forum from one domain to another, but on the same hosting account.
Having read several threads about this I think I figured out the theory, but in case I got something wrong can somebody please have a look at the steps I plan to take and tell me if I got it right? Thanks!

Copy all forum files and folders from olddomain.com/forum to newdomain.com/forum
Upload http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php to newdomain.com/forum and run it.
Check that all is working well.
Delete forum files and folders on olddomain.com/forum
Redirect olddomain.com/forum to newdomain.com/forum

Did I get it right? Thanks!

chiragaegis

I recommend Ben's method, it is by far the easiest. When you move SMF from one directory to the other, the only issue is when it makes references to directories and files that no longer exist, such as looking in the wrong place for the PHP include files, themes, etc.......

emanuele

@ Sybille Yates: sorry for the late reply, maybe you already moved your forum, BTW the sequence you posted is correct. :)
The only step missing is the database, but that may not be necessary in your case.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

support1

You can just copy over the files/directories in the current forum directory to the new forum directory. Then edit the Settings.php file in the new directory and replace all references to the old directory to the new directory.

For example, to move '/messageboard' to '/forum'.

1). Copy all the files/directories in the '/messageboard' directory to '/forum' directory preserving the permission & ownership of each file/directory.

[  In LInux u can use the following command]
# cp -pr messageboard forum

2). Then edit Settings.php file in the '/forum' directory [new directory] and change the following settings.

$boardurl = '.../messageboard';  -->  $boardurl = 'http://.../forum';
$boarddir = '.../messageboard';  --> $boarddir = '.../forum';
$sourcedir = '.../messageboard/Sources';  -->  $sourcedir = '.../forum/Sources';

$cachedir = '.../messageboard/cache';  --> $cachedir = '.../forum/cache';

Just change the 'messageboard' to 'forum' in the above settings. I haven't included the full path [ replaced with ...], but you need to add it according to your installation path.

CapadY

Please, don't bump such old topics.

Especialy not when they are solved.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Advertisement: