Database Errors

Started by Trekkie101, August 22, 2005, 05:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trekkie101

When I try to view the "Post your desktop" thread in "Chit Chat" it either goes very slow, or gives this error:

QuoteDatabase Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

tentronik

The latest page displays here.
Maybe it was due to traffic, try it again.

Trekkie101

Quote from: tentronik on August 22, 2005, 06:01:53 AM
The latest page displays here.
Maybe it was due to traffic, try it again.

Ive seen it more than 5 times ;) but just that topic.

Meriadoc

That's coming from high stress on the server.
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Trekkie101

I keep getting them when trying to post.

Is it a known problem thats getting fixed or is it gonna exist much longer?

Tristan Perry

Just high stress I'd guess. Do you get it anywhere other than the desktop thread? I'm getting this error a couple of times a day, nothing too bad though.

Trekkie101

Quote from: Tau Online on August 23, 2005, 03:09:45 PM
Just high stress I'd guess. Do you get it anywhere other than the desktop thread? I'm getting this error a couple of times a day, nothing too bad though.
Im all seriousness its been like this a week, even if its high stress, somethings going to have to be done.

Its maybe not too bad, but it shouldnt be happening, and yes its happening all over the board now.

Tristan Perry

Quote from: Trekkie101 on August 23, 2005, 03:12:48 PM
Im all seriousness its been like this a week, even if its high stress, somethings going to have to be done.

Its maybe not too bad, but it shouldnt be happening, and yes its happening all over the board now.
I agree with you then :) Sometimes I just get slow loading times, sometimes I get database errors.. Can get annoying quick. I'm happy enough to wait it out though I think, I just go off an surf another site for a bit whenever this site starts loading slowly.

Trekkie101

Yeah thats what ive been doing, spending the time just looking at smf code and trying to build funny things with it, like last night made this http://www.ihsezine.com/beta/forum/blogs.php with some help from Jerry and learn php at the same time.

Tristan Perry

Quote from: Trekkie101 on August 23, 2005, 03:19:04 PM
Yeah thats what ive been doing, spending the time just looking at smf code and trying to build funny things with it, like last night made this http://www.ihsezine.com/beta/forum/blogs.php with some help from Jerry and learn php at the same time.
There you are, proof that these errors are actually a good thing  ;D Hopefully database errors could start affecting all sites I visit, then I might actually get around to learning C++  :D

[Unknown]

There are only a few things I can do about this:
   - reduce max_connections until we get the new server, such that people will be denied access.
   - make it so the database error won't happen, but the topic will only load after about five times as long.
   - take a plane to Cinncinati and stick new ram or a better processor in myself.

There are limits to what a Celeron 1700 with 512 megs can do.  300 users all searching as many posts as this forum has at the same time is beyond that limit.

-[Unknown]

forsakenlad

Yeah [Unknown] is right. With his help we optimized a server with a forum which had 50.000 users and was much more active than the community we have here. After the optimization the forum had no speed problems whatsoever because the server was a Quad Xeon with 4 Gigs of RAM. I wouldn't like to critcise another BB software but PhpBB had 15 seconds page creation times, and guess what, SMF has 0.0x creation times even when searching! SMF really runs like a miracle on good hardware :)
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

dtm.exe

[Unknown], I'm liking the third option 8).

-Dan The Man

[Unknown]

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on August 24, 2005, 09:39:13 AM
[Unknown], I'm liking the third option 8).

-Dan The Man

Does that mean you'll pay my airfare?

-[Unknown]

Deaks

[Unknown] its simple do the third one but make a holiday out of it.. so drive .. gas is cheaper in the states so you cant use that reason :D
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

melkitten

omg@ drive! Have you looked at Unknown's profile? He lives in California!  That would be about a 3501 kilometer drive......gas prices aren't THAT cheap! LOL

[Unknown]

Almost 3 dollars now :/.

-[Unknown]

Meriadoc

and it'd take him at least a week when not driving crazy long hours...
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

dtm.exe

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 24, 2005, 03:28:06 PM
Does that mean you'll pay my airfare?

-[Unknown]

No, but I'm getting my license soon!  I'll just come to Cali and pick you up!  ROAD TRIP!!!

EDIT: My dad will pay for the gas.  Yes, I am a spoiled brat 8).

-Dan The Man

Meriadoc

can you imagine anything scarier on the road than Dan, a brand new driver, newly licensed, doing a cross country road trip?? ;)

dtm.exe

Quote from: Meriadoc on August 25, 2005, 08:47:46 PM
can you imagine anything scarier on the road than Dan, a brand new driver, newly licensed, doing a cross country road trip?? ;)

Honestly, I'm not that good of a driver :-\.

* OIDanTheManIO had his first blowout last weekend :(.

-Dan The Man

codenaught

Can you pick me up also? It would be so much fun!  :D
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Amacythe

I'll walk before getting into Dan's car... but I'd be happy to drive you [Unknown] and it wouldn't be a "Road Trip", it would be a "Business Trip" ;)

godboko

Quote from: Amacythe on August 26, 2005, 12:41:44 AM
I'll walk before getting into Dan's car... but I'd be happy to drive you [Unknown] and it wouldn't be a "Road Trip", it would be a "Business Trip" ;)

Tax write off.
Thank you,
Robert aka godboko

Amacythe

Meriadoc

don't you need an income for that to actually beneficial ;)

forsakenlad

Yeah I thought SMF was free :P
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

Trekkie101

Well done, whatevers been done, havent seen that error in days! :D

Advertisement: