2.0.2. Categories on main page not sorted according to specified order in admin

Started by Connor Macleod, January 29, 2012, 10:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connor Macleod

I refer to http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Boards which in my opinion is rather incomplete.

The categories on my main page "Home" are ordered chronologically in the sequence I once created them, not by the order I have specified in admin (index.php?action=admin;area=manageboards).

This is on a 2.0.2 Curve setup with ISO-8859-1 English running on our own Apache server. I have installed UTF-8 for several languages*, but they are not used by anybody, including myself. DB tables use "utf8_general_ci". Don't remember the exact version of PHP but it is 5.x. The only Mod installed is Anti-Spam Verification Questions 1.02.

The error should be easy to reproduce and I am surprised it has not been listed here so far? The only other explanation is that our IT admin who installed SMF on our server has made an error in the DB causing the categories to be ordered like this. I hope somebody can check if it is reproducible and if so, include a fix in the next patch. Thanks!

* List of languages:

Dutch    UTF-8    nl_NL.utf8
   Italian    UTF-8    it_IT.utf8
   Spanish Es    UTF-8    es_ES.utf8
   Romanian    UTF-8    ro_RO.utf8
   English    ISO-8859-1    en_US
   French    UTF-8    fr_FR.utf8
   English British    UTF-8    en_GB.utf8
   Turkish    UTF-8    tr_TR.utf8
   German    UTF-8    de_DE.utf8
   Polish    UTF-8    pl_PL.utf8
   Norwegian    UTF-8    no_NO.utf8
   Portuguese Pt    UTF-8    pt_PT.utf8
   Bulgarian    UTF-8    bg_BG.utf8
   Czech    UTF-8    cs_CZ.utf8

emanuele

The categories are usually listed in the order set up in the admin panel.
I think I remember a similar problem was reported when the table is not MyISAM.

One quick test you can do is to change the position of one category in the admin panel and move it back and see if it fixes the problem, if not, please have a look at your database if the table is MyISAM or InnoDB.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Connor Macleod

Quote from: emanuele on January 30, 2012, 06:06:36 AM
The categories are usually listed in the order set up in the admin panel.
I think I remember a similar problem was reported when the table is not MyISAM.

One quick test you can do is to change the position of one category in the admin panel and move it back and see if it fixes the problem, if not, please have a look at your database if the table is MyISAM or InnoDB.

Is it difficult to port from e.g. InnoDB to MyISAM?

Arantor

First let's establish which it is... I would rather tell you how to fix it in InnoDB rather than making it less efficient...

Arantor

This is already tracked on Github and will be taken care of properly in 2.1 going forward.

Advertisement: